Wireless Keeps Getting Disconnected

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by pdpeanut, Nov 9, 2004.

1. pdpeanut

pdpeanut Guest

So my sister's laptop has a built-in wireless card and she can use the internet fine with no interruptions at my house, but at her house, it keeps getting disconnected (like every 10 minutes). Does anyone know what the problem could be? Could it be interference from something else and might a signal booster or range extender help at all? Thanks.

2. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

If it's a windows pc, there is usually an icon next to the clock that indicates signal strength. If it is indeed a weak signal, then try moving the router to a different location before spending money on a signal booster. If the signal is strong, then it might possibly be interference from something like a cordless phone. Try changing the channel on the router and see if there's one that stays connected.

3. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Cordless phone, microwave, someone else with wireless.
    Try one of the lower channels on the router, that can make a big difference.

4. 98R-1144

98R-1144 V8 4.2L AWD = All Weather Fun

if you're using the built in XP Wireless Network Configuration, that could also be the culprit. The WZC wizard built into XP likes to continue to scan even when connected to a network already... which causes issues.
    Use the wireless software that came with the card (for my Dell, I use the Intel Proset that came w/the 2200BG) and then DISABLE the Wireless Zero Configuration in Services.msc.

I started to use the ProSet... no dropped connections since.

hope that helps!

5. Apothis

Apothis New Member

Make sure your router is set for channel 1, 6, or 11.

6. pdpeanut

pdpeanut Guest

Okay so I have checked the channels and stuff, still nothing really works. For some reason (and it doesn't do this at my house even though there are other people's wireless networks available) it keeps connecting to any other wireless networks it senses. Is there a setting I could use so that it would only connect to the wireless network at her house? Thanks.

7. pdpeanut

pdpeanut Guest

anyone?

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

disable the windows zero-config and use the one that came with your nic.

9. pdpeanut

pdpeanut Guest

how do i do this? sorry to sound really stupid.

10. pookrat

pookrat OT Supporter

Depends on the chipset of your Wireless Adapter. Check with the manufacturer or browse the web to find a Config Utility that will work with your adapter. Atheros makes a good one. The Intel ProSet Utility is decent also...

To disable Zero Config go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services - and then right-click on Wireless Zero Configuration > Properties - and set the startup to disabled.

Try at your own risk though. If ya don't feel comfortable with that, ya might call the manufacturer of the notebook to see if they can help out...

11. EkriirkE

EkriirkE Zika Xenu OT Supporter

2.45 ghz cordless phones and leaky microwaves will interfere with wifi