Wireless keep cutting off

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dOOfus, Sep 19, 2006.

1. dOOfus

dOOfus OT Supporter

My school offers free wifi for students. When it connects, we have to enter our ID# and password to access everything. Everytime I'm in class, it always drops me and says "acquiring network address" about a minute later, it'll say "limited or no connectivity" then a second later, it'll connect again. 10 minutes later and it happens again. My signal strength is always between 3-4 bars and I am using an Intel PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 integrated into my Dell 600M. Anyone know what could be causing this? I use this laptop on my home network and never had any problems.

2. howste

howste New Member

Do you have multiple access points that it's connecting to? Maybe it gets confused when it picks up another signal and switches.

Check to see if it's connected to the same access point after it reconnects. If it's a different one, try disabling all but one.

3. dOOfus

dOOfus OT Supporter

its the same, my friend said something about maybe there are too many users on the same channel as me and that i should probably try changing the channels, but how do i do that?

4. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

The channels (1-11) are used by the access points, and cannot be changed by you. If the IT department at your school had any sense, they would configure overlapping access points on different channels to minimize interference.