Wireless KB/M - Still bad for gaming?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by bowrofl, May 3, 2009.

1. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

Hello. I've heard from one person that the days that wireless keyboards and mice were bad for gaming are over, and another that we, in fact, still live in these dark times.

I must know the truth! Am I going to have a lag problem, or be changing batteries every other day, while playing games on the PC with any decently priced wireless KB/M? Or should I stick with wired?

I have a Logitech MX518 that I like to use, so if wireless mice are still bad but wireless keyboards are cool, I'd be interested in suggestions. Or if both wireless KB & M are bad, good suggestions for wired ones? Gaming isn't my primary concern with the keyboard (I type lots of long papers for school) but minus whale be for mouse.

2. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

The biggest problem i have with the logitech G7 mouse i have.. the son of a bitch has interference with any other wireless signal within 10 feet(my router mainly). It was suppose to be able to switch channels to avoid this, and the fucker sucks.. but it is comfortable as hell.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I've never had any problem. The battery thing can be annoying, but a set of Energizer Lithium AAs should keep you running for a couple of months at least.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure when I last changed the batteries in my wireless keyboard and trackball.

4. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

checkout the Sidewinder X8 or Razer Mamba
    loved my G7,... only con is that i switch the rechargeable batteries every 8hrs or so though

can't say much on keyboards.
    i'm using a G15. got a couple of wireless ones but they are for htpcs.

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  5. negative zero

negative zero New Member

I'm using MX Revolution and a hand me down logitech cheap kb. I haven't changed the batteries in the kb in at least 2 yrs. MX Revolution does need to be charged at least once per week or so but that's not an issue.

I notice zero lag what-so-ever. Alway in the top 2 or 3 in COD [email protected]

6. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

I just have the Microsoft Wireless 5000 keyboard and mouse I think it is. Picked it up on sale cheap couple years back. I never had a problem playing any games but I'm not a huge gamer.

7. Toology

Toology New Member

Honestly I always that argument was for tools who sucked at games. For YEARS I had the first generation Microsoft wireless mouse, it drained batteries like a motherfuck but I never ever had problems gaming with it, and this was at the time I was big big into BF2 and CS. I switched to a razor sidewinder about a year ago (got it on woot for like free) and honestly, I miss the shitty old school 1st gen wireless.

8. deusexaethera

It boils down to this: signals travel through both air and copper at very near the speed of light, far faster than you can possibly react. Any argument to the contrary is just an attempt to cover up lack of skill.

9. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

yes, but there's distance, resistance, the time to encode the signal for transmission, and the time to decode the data upon receipt. that's where the lag is.

srsly, a shitty mouse can get you killed, srsly

10. jvblackxj

jvblackxj VW4Life

I run wireless keyboards and mice for both work and play. I find the RF stuff has little, if any, lag. some bluetooth stuff i have used has a huge lag time.

I have play Far Cry, Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six without any keyboard lag.

Jason V

BTW. I replace my regular costco brand batteries about every six months. The mice I use are rechargeable and have to do so about every week.

My favorite is the Logitech Cordless Keyboard/Mouse Combo.

11. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

i had a wireless keyboard at one point and it was fine, even if it has slight lag it really doesn't affect your game. every wireless mouse i've used has been fine for general use but i can notice even the slightest lag when gaming; i wouldn't recommend a wireless mouse for gaming unless you're a noob that doesn't care about getting pwned.

12. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

I have a Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 2.0 at work and would never recommend it for gaming. I mainly use Excel and the internet and notice lag. I have to set the reciever pretty close to where the mouse is and far enough from my phone or it gets pretty bad.... If it can make it hard to work in Excel I can't imagine how much trouble it would cause in a game.

I also use a Microsoft Desktop 8000 or 9000 blu-tooth with my HTPC. I had to get a USB extension and move it away from my tower or it had really bad lag.

13. deusexaethera

No, no it won't. [​IMG] We're talking about dedicated hardware here; the signal processors operate orders of magnitude faster than the optical sensor can even register movement, which itself operates orders of magnitude faster than a human can react. Thinking that a radio signal is getting you killed and that a copper wire would somehow be better is nothing more than magical thinking on-par with believing a preacher can expel demons from your head by yelling at them.

Pilots fly UAVs in combat missions in Afghanistan from cubicles in the California desert using radio signals; wireless is not too slow to play Counterstrike with.

EDIT: I just picked up on the hint of sarcasm.

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  14. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

Do you really think they fly those things with no lag? that they respond instantly?

that's exactly one of the games that you'll notice the lag in. it'd probably be fine for any non-twitch FPS or other game.

15. deusexaethera

Of course there's lag when the signal is going thousands of miles. There isn't any lag that any human can possibly notice when the signal is going 3 feet.

16. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

well, you're wrong, once again.

17. deusexaethera

300,000,000 meters per second, over a distance of ~1 meter. Do the math, genius.

18. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

I don't need to do the math because i've used the mice. i've owned so many mice you wouldn't believe, and i currently use a wireless mouse on my eeePC. I've owned several logitech gaming wireless mice and they even though they're more responsive than your generic wireless mouse, they still have slight lag.

not to mention there's more variables than you're letting on. and i don't play in a vacuum.

19. deusexaethera

We might be better off if you did play in a vacuum. But that aside, air does not slow down electromagnetic propagation very much.

If there is any lag at all in your wireless setup, it's probably related to the optical sensor powering-down after a few seconds of inactivity to extend battery life, in which case you need to change the power-management settings on your mouse. Anything besides that is either shitty hardware that wouldn't work any better if it were hardwired, or your imagination.

It's amazing how powerful confirmation bias can be. "Hmm, my friend said wireless mice are laggy...OMG I just got sniped! He's totally right! Stupid fucking wireless mice."

20. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

i thought you were a network guy,.. you should know why wireless lags more

21. deusexaethera

I am not a "network guy"; all I've done professionally in that arena is rewire a server room for a small office.

22. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

you're not an anything guy, yet you feel your opinion is warranted everywhere.

before we continue this debate any longer, do you even own a gaming wireless mouse? have you ever used one? do you play first person shooters, especially twitch FPS'ers? do you think there's any difference between 60 FPS and 100 FPS in a twitch FPS'er? are you a FPS noob? because if you answered no to any of those (or yes to the last one) there's really no reason why you should be in here arguing this. i'm not going off what my friends say, my friends might actually agree with you, but i'm the only one of my friends that has actually played games competitively. I played in cal-m back in CS 1.6 and i've played in several large CS tournaments (150+ people), usually winning and never coming in anything less than second. i've won money and prizes (sometimes even mice, ironically), and i've used almost every gaming mouse ever made at some point.

i'm not trying to sound like an elitist, i'm only trying to bring home the point that my opinion has more validation than your opinion, which you volunteer all the time in threads with topics you know very little about.

23. deusexaethera

I don't own a wireless mouse. I own a wireless trackball. The principle is the same, though. I used to play Counterstrike, and yes I did die a lot, but not because my character didn't move when I told him to -- I died a lot because I sucked. A couple of my high school friends, one of whom also had a wireless setup, died much less often.

I'm not saying your opinion is invalid, I'm saying that until there is evidence that wireless mice introduce lag, then there is no evidence that wireless mice introduce lag. Show me evidence of a large number of people who don't otherwise have preconceived notions being able to detect lag in wireless mice, preferably with an explanation of exactly which components in the system are causing the lag, and I'll believe you. Until then, your insistence that wired mice work faster carries as much scientific weight as a baseball player's insistence that his lucky socks help him hit farther.

24. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

great, now anyone with half a brain can laugh at you and disregard anything you've said.

25. deusexaethera

Because you said so, right.

Trackballs are more accurate than mice. I have no evidence of it, but I have personal experience and personal preference on my side, therefore you are full of shit. I win!