Wireless issues out of the blue with XP.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dr.zed, Oct 28, 2007.

1. dr.zed

dr.zed DR.ZED OT Supporter

My wife has a Dell laptop that is a year and half old. Integrated wireless has been running fine since the laptop was new. Out of the blue we will lose all connectivity. Network shares, printers, internet. Even rebooting doesn't solve it all the time.

I thought maybe my wireless router was at fault (it was a Dlink) since the signal strength was half sitting 5 feet away from the router. I purchased a Linksys and the signal strength was much better, but still the issues continue.

If I think back I MAY have added a computer and maybe cloned a DHCP server on the old router which used the laptop's information, but nothing like that is on the new router. I inadvertently did this adding my work laptop to the wireless network. Like I said though with the new router none of this even exists.

I have seen Wireless Zero Config set to automatic but NOT running on the laptop sometimes.

I'm at my wits end and don't know what to check for next. If anybody can help I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

2. dr.zed

Just a quick follow up I am running SP2.

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Until you test your network with another wireless device, you're not going to solve this problem. If you introduce another device, have no issues, then, "Dude, you got a Dell".

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Sounds like the computer's DHCP lease is expiring and not getting renewed. Create a .BAT file with these contents and run it the next time the connection drops out, and let me know if it works:

ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /flushdns
    ipconfig /renew
    exit

5. 5Gen_Prelude

6. Chris

Chris New Member

what happens if you use cmd prompt to ping your router and then other computers on your network?

7. deusexaethera

Update this shit.

8. dr.zed

Sorry... my bad... see my next post about internet access at work.

I bought a cheap USB access point and the Internet appears to work well right now. My wife will let me know tomorrow. If this works then I will assume internal dell wireless.

I will however switch back and try this batch file tho.

9. 5Gen_Prelude

The batch file won't work because you said a reboot doesn't always fix the problem. It also won't work because it's dependant on the DHCP server to be running and working properly for it to release and renew an IP, and if that was the case, it would renew the lease after it expired.

You've most likely found the solution - it was the internal wireless that got messed up - it could be the aerial or the mini card itself. Regardless, Dell can fix it if it's under warranty.

10. dr.zed

Now I have an annoying USB sticking out the side which IS going to get broken. My 2 year old will show me the weakness of that device shortly.

... and when in the hell did PCMCIA cardbus cards become extinct and change to some gay ass half size. Dammit...

11. deusexaethera

About a year ago, as far as I've seen.

12. dr.zed

The new USB wireless access point has solved all the issues.

Trying to get a mini PCI wireless card replacement under warranty.

Thanks for the replies.

13. Chris

Chris New Member

Yeah, Ive noticed all the new laptops that come into the shop dont have PCMIA slots :sadwavey:

14. DellCA

DellCA New Member

Hi,

My name is Todd and I'm with Dell's online outreach program. Let me know if you haven't been able to get that wireless card replaced and I'll help get one sent out to you. You can contact us via email at [email protected]. Please include my first name (Todd) in the subject line of the message so it can quickly be routed through to me and I'll be glad to assist if you still need it.

Thank you,

Todd

Customer Advocate
    Dell, Inc.

http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2006/11/19/3648.aspx

15. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

:confused:

16. deusexaethera

Well, I went to the guy's blog, and if he's just trying to install spyware, he's put in an awful lot of effort to do it -- and he writes in proper English, to boot.

17. DellCA

DellCA New Member

Hi,

If you go to the blog and read through the main page you'll find that it's the official Dell blog, www.Direct2Dell.com. The actual link I posted is to a blog post discussing what my team was created to do for Dell.

That article includes a video interview with some of my co-workers but luckily I was "sick" that day and couldn't make it.

:)

We've worked with a few different forums over the past year or so but not sure how often we've hit this specific site.

Thank you,

Todd

Customer Advocate
    Dell, Inc.

18. 5Gen_Prelude

Oh, you would have remembered us - we're constantly bashing Dell's shitty quality. Well. maybe not - I guess everyone does that :mamoru:

19. deusexaethera

When an eight-year-old HP NetServer with dual P3s and 1GB SDRAM can reproject the coordinate system on a 1GB aerial image in half the time that it takes a three-year-old Dell Precision with dual P4 Xeons and 2GB RAMBUS, you gotta wonder what's wrong with the newer machine.

(For the record, coordinate system reprojections are very CPU/RAM biased. The HDD isn't a bottleneck in that instance.)