Wireless internet :-(

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by LifeBurnsFaster, Apr 2, 2006.

1. LifeBurnsFaster

LifeBurnsFaster New Member

We have a wireless internet router set up in the 1st floor of our home, all the computer on the 1st and 2nd floor have excellent signals. The basement, however, does not get a signal better than very low.

Is there anything that i can do to reliably boost the signal ...access points, antennas, etc.

2. Goonigoogoo

Goonigoogoo Active Member

Depending on how much interference there is i'd suggest an antenna, they are not that expensive and should boost that very low signal to something higher.

3. urbanride

urbanride Vodka Powered

try changing freq. if not antenna? or move the current router? or hardwire? or hardwire then at another wireless network in the basement of you want laptop support

4. noxxs

noxxs New Member

try switching to the network to ad-hoc and see if you can get a stronger connection to one of the other computers.

5. 7960

7960 New Member

:eek3:

this will not work.

6. noxxs

noxxs New Member

is that only for larger networks?

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

no, ad-hoc is for peer-to-peer. The other machine likely would not be running a DHCP server, or act as a proxy/gateway... You'd be able to use windows file sharing, but would not be able to connect to the internet. Furthermore, the other machine would have to be set up as ad-hoc, and would also be off of the network unless it was multi-homed.

8. LifeBurnsFaster

running cat 5 to the basement is looking pretty hard to do

is there anyway to have a second modem setup in the basement, all of the cable comes in close to the basement computer/components

9. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

My room is below a concrete slap from the rest of the house, wireless used to be flakey. Got a second access point (both apple airports) and set up WDS (wireless distribution system aka. wireless mesh).

The second airport sits at the bottom of the stairwell and acts as a 'wireless repeater' to the basement. They both use the same SSID and moving the laptop from upstairs to downstairs is completely seamless.

WDS will cut transmission speed roughly in half if you dont have dual channel access points.

Obviously if you want to set up WDS you will have the best luck with two identical access points which each support WDS.

See:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_Distribution_System

10. 7960

7960 New Member

if the cable comes in close to the basement then why is running cat5 going to be tough? Plug it into the router and run the cat5 back toward the coax, then loop it around and send it to the basement. You've got 100m (300ft) for cat5...use it.

11. LifeBurnsFaster

the router currently sits on the first floor on the opposite side of the house, as the basment computer. 100m of cat5 would make it to the basement computer. I'm just not sure how i would get the wire across the house.

12. 7960

7960 New Member

drill a hole in the floor

use a heating duct hole

use a place where plumbing comes through the floor

use a plumbing snake and fish it down through the wall where the coax plug is

......where there's a will.........

13. phatguy88

phatguy88 OT Supporter

the weakest signal is always directly below the router as signal travels up yet cannot travel downward.

14. Pet3R

Pet3R Active Member

id just get a signal extender (antenna). a friend of mine uses one, and it works great.

15. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

Get a new router.. My parents have thier belkin on the middle floor, works fine in the basement as well as the second floor. Also try getting a Linksys card for your laptop that supports MIMO. Before having mine I could pick up 4 wireless signals in my apartment complex, now with the SRX card I can pick up over 9 with the comp in the same place as before. Check on ebay they go for around 60 bucks. Might be less of a headache than trying to run cat 5 downstairs.

16. 7960

7960 New Member

the weakest signals are above and below, because we can't build a true isotropic antenna...any antenna we build is going to have *some* gain, so there will be some loss above and below.

most consumer APs come with a standard 2.2 dbi rubber duck...that's not much gain, and someone already said it, but tilting the antennas a little will help with signal coverage above and below the AP.