Wireless Internet Question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 01Z71, Apr 10, 2006.

1. 01Z71

01Z71 New Member

At work (A Campground) I installed a D-Link DSA-3200 and purchased the ANT24-0800 Omni-Directional Outdoor Antenna. The problem I am having is that the signal drops fast. The D-Link is next to a window and the signal just does not go very far. I am looking for a way to boost the effective signal range -- Any Ideas??

Thanks.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

how far does the signal go? Omni-directional antennas aren't going to give you the best range...

Also, what are you using on the client-side... Remember, for this to work, not only does the access point need to send far enough, but it has to receive the computer's signal, as well. Upgrading the access point can help (better antennas can receive weaker signals) but there's still a point where you'll need better equipment client-side in order to get good gains.

But again, this is all speculation without knowing what you're using on the client, and how the signal performs over various distances. Where does it start to drop? If you're getting a few hundred feet, then you're probably getting the best you can with stock client hardware. Most large areas that serve standard notebook PCs will install more than one AP, spread out so that they provide maximum coverage.

3. 7960

7960 New Member

You say it's an outdoor antenna but it's next to a window... is it inside? If the antenna is inside then there's still attenuation caused by the building. Where is the antenna situated?

Jollyogre makes a good point....... the client matters, too. Make sure the client is set at the highest power output. Max on mine is 100mw, what's max on yours and is it set to that?

....must......have..........more............detail