Wireless Internet Question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ccrooks, Aug 18, 2004.

1. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

Hey all
    I moved into an apartment a few months ago and got wireless internet for my PC. Everything was going OK until I checked the router and saw that there was a rogue computer sapping my bandwidth. We set up a password and that was that. Well, after that, my internet connection began to go screwy. It disconnects all the time and never ever re-connects by itself. Is there some check-box i need to select in order to automatically re-connect to our wireless network?

sidebar: I have a hard drive that needs formatting, but can't do it through the normal windows way... it reads as un-formattible. Any ideas?

2. Julez

Julez Active Member

i didn't read your thread but I'll tell you wireless internet sucks cock on pc, not if you were on something mobile like a laptop then maybe.

3. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

When you say wireless internet do you mean a cable/dsl connection with a wireless router or that you are getting a wireless signal for your actual internet connection?

What version of Windows are you using?

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Not true... Where did you get that from? I've been wireless on my PC for a while now and never had a problem. I tend to think that the people who insist this don't know how to set it up correctly. What makes wireless on a PC different from a laptop?

ccrooks - There could be a couple things to look at. You didn't say what kind of harware you are using, but make sure you use Windows to setup your wireless neteworks, not a config utility that may come with the card. Also, go into the wireless properties of your network on the PC and on the advanced tab make sure that the check box for "Enable 802.1x authentication for this network" is UN-checked. Both of these could lead to the connection dropping off frequently.

Another thing you may want to look at on your router is to limit wireless access by MAC address.

5. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Like he said - note that if you try to use both config utilities at the same time they will conflict. If you use the utility that came with the card then you need to disable the Windows version - you disable it in Services.

6. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

I heard there is a bug in XP with their Wireless Service. Where when enabled with WEP it drops the connection whenever because it's always searching for a better connection for you.

I have that issue with my laptop quite a bit. I will be just sitting there and bam I lose connection to only pick up a new one and that drops and I go back to the orginial.. Totally sucks cack.

7. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Read my post above and make sure that the checkbox I was talking about is un-checked.

8. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

sorry about all the lack of info guys

I'm running windows XP, I'm using a Cable connection with a wireless d-link air plus g router and d-link air plus xtreme g card.

I un-checked the 802.11x box, so we'll see what happens. Oh yeah, i uninstalled the software that the card came with... it was pretty much a more colorful version of windows' config utility