wireless internet issues

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ccrooks, Jan 27, 2005.

1. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

Hey guys... having problems w/ my wireless
    I set up port forwarding and static IP address for my computer a few days back and it worked fine. Then, my computer got fucked up and I had to remove all this fuckin' adware off of my computer and I think something got changed in the process, because I can't connect to the internet thru my router anymore. I have very good signal strength, but can't get to the 'net... I can't even get to the router (192.168.0.1). I think maybe my MAC address has changed, so do I need to go into the router and undo the port forwarding w/ static IP for the old MAC address?

sorry for the novel

2. Alt+F4

Alt+F4 official OT hockey stud

Your MAC address can't change, that's hard coded to your NIC. Check to make sure your NIC is still functional, and that you have your router addy correct. Mine is 192.168.1.1.

3. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

i'm fairly certain mine is 0.1... would it do anything if i removed the static IP setting from the router?

4. tuna816

tuna816 New Member

I'd check your current ip to make sure the router DHCP is giving your an ip at all.
    If you have a LAN ip, then you can try to do a 'repair' on your connection.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

he said he was using a static setup, therefore a "repair" will not work :rolleyes:

6. Alt+F4

Alt+F4 official OT hockey stud

First, restart everything. Computers, cable modem, router. Then once everything is back up, check your computer's IP. To do this with 2000 or XP, go to start > run > type 'cmd' > type 'ipconfig/renew'. I think in 98 and below, it's start > run > command > winipcfg. Something like that.

Your ip should be something like 192.168.1.100, or something along those lines. If it's 169.254.x.x, then your computer isn't getting a valid address through DHCP from your router. Also, the gateway address should be that of your router, so 192.168.0.1

If it is getting one, then go to www.whatismyipaddress.com and make sure your ISP is giving a good address to your cable modem. I think mine for comcast is 24.x.x.x.

Check those two things out and get back to us.