wireless in Ubuntu

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ivy Mike, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

I just installed Ubuntu 5.04 on my Dell Inspiron 8000 and am trying to get my wireless PCMCIA card installed.

The card is a Linksys WPC11 v.3 and Linksys actually released linux drivers which I have. I was able to untar them and got as far as Make Config.
    Now, the problem is that it asks me for the linux source directory. It gives a default directory of (/usr/src/linux) but that doesn't work for me and I'm having a hell of a time finding where I need to point it to.

Any ideas?

2. zanyspy_dude

zanyspy_dude King of teh n00bz

I would try the ubuntu forums, i don't know ubuntu that well. Until you get help from them over there, maybe try endis (indis?) wrapper, which should be installed already. Good luck!

3. wparsons

wparsons New Member

^^ NDIS wrapper works great, but if linksys released linux drivers I'd suggest using them, since its a native solution.

4. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

you're kidding...I should use the linux drivers I already mentioned?
    no wai!!!

5. Kingfisher

Kingfisher Keepin L's lit

i have ubuntu... wireless nor sound work for me. woopeee!!!

6. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

OK, I figured out the real problem. The problem is that in the 5.04 setup, Ubuntu detects and installs the networking components before PCMCIA. As my old busted ass laptop doesn't have a working NIC (been physically broken for a while) no networking was installed. All I had to do was edit the /etc/network/interfaces file and add the line
    map eth0. The way my PCMCIA slots are set up, I can only fit one card in at a time, otherwise, I'd add "map eth1" as well so I could have both wired and wireless. No big deal.
    Also, the upgrade from Ubuntu 5.04 to 5.10 (hoary hedgehog to breezy badger) was flawless.

I fucking love linux. Fairly quick even on the old machine and everything just works.

Now I just need to get a new battery to make the thing portable again. :hsd:

7. Echilon

Echilon Reichsführer

"Everything just works"...

You must have had totally differnet experiences than me. I've always ended up ditching it because everything just works on windows in comparison.

8. coronet

coronet Do Andriods Dream of Electric Sheep?

If your computer is slow, and you aren't afraid to spend some time with the command line to set everything up, check out Arch Linux. Its blazing fast for me. Though to warn, you will have post-install troubles like these, and you will need to consult the forums or IRC room. But most of it is easily fixed.

It has a similar package management to Apt-Get. "sudo apt-get install firefox" would be "pacman -S firefox", and "sudo apt-get upgrade" would be "pacman -Syu".

I, too, love Linux, and am currently mingling between all the operating systems. Almost all of them have been fun.