Wireless in 6 story building!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Dj_MikeyMike, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Dj_MikeyMike

Dj_MikeyMike New Member

Hey guys..

Well.. basically i am looking to put wireless in a 6 story hotel/motel building..
    The building is probably... 20 x 20 meters... 6 stories high.. about 8 rooms per level..

what would you suggest? what antennas... i read the new LinkSys wireless-N router is suppose to be good.. but id rather want some answers from people that know what they are talking about

Any advice would be appreciated..

Thanks

2. Woodmaster

Woodmaster New Member

okay this is what you do, you run a neutral z x-5 linksys router package from the base lobby to the upper maint. shaft, run glow sticks the whole way for easier travel, setup a wifi smart top 3000 in the elevator for increased speed on the shaft and then put dummy cameras in each room.. it will work perfect

3. craigl33

craigl33 New Member

you can either buy a couple repeaters, or what i would do it buy a couple wireless routers for cheap. here' sthe schematic:

modem -> router -ethernet cable-> wireless router -ethernet cable-> wireless router...etc

for each wireless router you have to disable dchp. you just have to daisy chain the wireless routers and they should act as access points. downside is that you need to run cables up the building.

4. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Need info on building material. What are the walls made of? Slab to slab height. ewtv.

5. dancavallaro

dancavallaro New Member

It goes without saying that we'll need naked pictures of the women staying in your hotel in order to say for sure.

But seriously, Rob is right.. we need more information about structure, layout, etc. :dunno:

6. Dj_MikeyMike

Dj_MikeyMike New Member

Haha.. Thanks guys.. really the walls are made from.. cement/bricks... and are approximatley 15cm thick..

What i was thinking having the router in the office.. and doing a few antenna's? or would repeaters be a better bet?

7. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

Linksys Routers running Sveasoft and WDS running on all of them.. That way they are all hooked together..

8. 7960

7960 New Member

This would be the worst option. 15cm of cement/brick would effectively kill a signal pretty quick. Also, you'd add so much attenuation from running an antenna cable 6 floors from the AP that it would be useless.

My opinion, pick up a 24 or 36 port switch, buy 4 (linksys/whatever) access points, put the 4 on the same floor and see what kind of reception you get in each room (basically, mock it up). 60m x 60m with walls and shit is going to take at least 4 APs, maybe 5, but you'll never know until you try.

Then, go one floor above and see what kind of reception you get there. It may be that you can skip a floor (put APs on floor 1, skip 2, put APs on floor 3, skip 4, etc) because the bleed through from the floors above and below may cover it.

What I bet you'll find is you can get decent enough coverage if you put.......wait...

Say your building is diamond shaped with corners at North, East, South, and West. You may be able to get away with putting APs at N/E/S on floor 1, then E/S/W on floor 2, then S/W/N on floor 3 (rotating around the "missing" AP from floor to floor). Again, signal bleed-through from floor to floor should cover the missing spot.

In my opinion you're going to need a switch and at least (6 x 3 =) 18 access points, but you're probably going to end up needing (6 x 4=) 24 APs to cover the building.

You can configure WDS if you want but you probably won't need to (link to what is and how do do it).

Lastly, I'm not saying put the AP in the N corner. Put it in, away from the wall...think about the signal as being a 50' circle around the antenna and place them accordingly. If you put the AP against the wall then half the signal is going to end up outside the hotel, not helping you, while leaving a coverage hole in the middle of the floor.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2006
  9. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Guys, can't he use a high gain antennae with alot of vertical range?

10. 7960

7960 New Member

No....if the floors are concrete then they were probably poured in a metal pan. It's possible an AP may shoot through one but highly unlikely it'll go through two floors.

11. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

If it won't go through one floor on the stock antennae... an antennae with more vertical attenuation would do the trick.

12. 7960

7960 New Member

vertical annuation wouldn't do anything........ it can't penetrate the steel pans used to make the floor. *If* it can get through one (somehow, that's why I said test it in my first post) then it definitely won't go through two. A "stronger" antenna won't matter.

someone who did exactly this
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthread.php?t=2466

page 4
    http://www.palowireless.com/i802_11/docs/hotelwhitepaper.doc

13. Budha

Budha Guest

You might just want to make it wired so people won't steal WIFI and dload illegal things?