A&P Wireless Electricity!?!?!

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by jared_IRL, Sep 2, 2009.

1. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

2. Bloke

Bloke Banned

didnt Tesla try this and get turned down because there was nowhere to put a meter?

3. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

I read about that awhile back when the MIT team had just demonstrated the technology, but I think the "potential health risks" or more than they make them out to be. . .

I know this is vague, but it's all I can remember off the top of my head. . . I just remember reading about a small community of people who lived close to some very high-voltage power lines developing all kinds of medical problems, and one of the main theories (I don't know that it was ever proven :dunno: ) of how they were linked was that the electrically-induced magnetic field from the power lines was strong enough to cause the iron molecules in their hemoglobin to all become aligned along a common axis, and apparently the naturally random arrangement of iron is more efficient at binding to and releasing O2.

They'll just have to add "This product is known to cause cancer in the state of California." to the product labels. Every time I see that or something similar, I thank God that it isn't cancerous in Oklahoma :hsugh: :mamoru:

4. UnNakedChef

UnNakedChef 2jz Sackrider Holder

ummm, yeah. My Palm Pre already has this.

5. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

thats awesome.

I can't wait to own wireless, battery-less 2000 w/s Dynalites....

6. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

So does my toothbrush.

When you can put it in your pocket and have it charging wirelessly while walking around your house, I'll be impressed. And don't pull any of that kinetic energy conversion BS :squint: I know it 'works' in watches (and really heavy backpacks, if you want to charge your phone), but I'd rather pay $5 for a battery every year or two personally.

7. asdfbunk

asdfbunk A Member OT Supporter

A huge problem with it right now is that it is extremely inefficient (something like 70% of energy is wasted IIRC) and the only real application is low yield devices that require water proofing (like toothbrushes) and medical devices like an artificial heart with that belt power supply.

8. Drunken Karnie Midget

Drunken Karnie Midget In Yeo We Trust, All Others Pay Cash OT Supporter

9. asdfbunk

That's a power pad and barely 'wireless' as it's almost as restrictive as a cradle. I'm saying the stuff that's out right now, that's used over long distances (such as internal devices in the human body) use wireless energy transmission that's horribly inefficient.

10. Drunken Karnie Midget

Drunken Karnie Midget In Yeo We Trust, All Others Pay Cash OT Supporter

Ah, rog-o. and yeah, it is no different than using a cradle.

11. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

Yeah, I'd heard that there were pretty significant efficiency problems. For applications like toothbrushes, artificial hearts, "power pads", basically anything that's in close proximity to the charging unit. . .are they essentially charging with current induced by magnetic flux (or electromagnetic flux, technically)? With like an oscillating RLC (or any circuit that produces a regularly fluctuating magnetic field), a current would be induced in an adjacent wire, so I have to assume that is what's used in toothbrushes and such. It would have to be a slightly more complicated system in order to charge something rather than power it obviously, but I would guess that's the basic idea.

With the truly "wireless" power that can transmit enough juice over enough of a distance to be useful in household devices, it sounds like they're using the same premise but focusing the fluctuating magnetic fields and somehow transmitting them as "magnetic waves" :noes:

That being said, I'd like to have a lamp in a spot in my living room where its really inconvenient to run a cord. . .I could build an RLC circuit to stick in the crawlspace under the lamp, a corresponding coil in which to induce the current to power the lamp, and avoid the use of ugly extension cords :bowdown::eek3:

:rofl: Fuck that, I'll just buy a lot of batteries. Time+energy+parts+potential of failure>love of cordless lamp

12. asdfbunk

:rofl: i'd love to read a blog about your futile attempts to build a wireless energy lamp only to have it fail miserably, then your subsequent blog bout converting a socket lamp to operate on AA's you got from best buy :rofl::rofl:

13. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

I thought about this about 4 years ago, talked to my dad about it. I also mentioned "If I thought of this, someone thought about it 10 years back and is already working on it". Sure enough, about 2-3 years ago, it came out in the news.

14. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

:rofl::rofl: I'd laugh, but only if someone else were the one writing it :mamoru:

And I'd probably even laugh at myself, after enough time had passed for the pain and humiliation to go away :rofl:

But seriously, I'm a stubborn sonofabitch and almost an engineer :)x:)...given enough time, I could come up with some way of wirelessly (loosely used term, I'm talking 3" or so max) transferring power from subfloor to a receiving unit on top of the wood flooring. Hell, if nothing else I could just rig up one of the magnetic stirring setups used in chemistry to rotate a magnet in the receiving unit on a fixed axis within a coil of wire, and I'm generating current. Then it would just be a matter of converting it to a more appropriate voltage and such :bigthumb:

Ok. . .I just need to stop... This engineering shit is getting to my head. :o

15. Asherman

Asherman New Member

Anton Tesla was almost obsessed with the idea of broadcasting electrical current, but never was able to achieve his dream. Tesla was one of the greatest inventive minds of his time, and yet is little known by the public today. He was a strange and eccentric bird who castrated himself so that sex wouldn't distract him from his mental work. It was Tesla who actually came up with A/C current that Westinghouse so successfully marketed while enraging Edison who believed in D/C. Tesla's work was one of the seeds from which radar was born, and he was deeply involved in thinking up stuff for the War Department during WWII. Tesla was also known for his obssesive secrecy, especially after Westinghouse reaped billions while he got almost nothing from inventing A/C current. He ended his life by spending his bed in a famous N.Y. hotel room for many years. After his death, his files and papers disappeared and rumor has it that the U.S. Government seized them and buried them under the highest classifications of secrecy. Conspiracy types sometimes claim that secret projects carried out at Area 51, flying saucers, etc., ect. are the results of engineering Tesla's ideas into practical application. Oh well.......

Can electricity be broadcast? Certainly, and the process isn't difficult to understand. Electrical power is transmitted as mircrowaves, and at the recieving station(s) is stepped back down to A/C current and either fed into a powr grid, or used directly. Tesla didn't have microwaves, though his work helped pioneer that technology, and... if what we bellieve was his theory at the time is correct, the output needed doomed the idea.

16. Asherman

Asherman New Member

Concerns about the effect of microwaves aren't entirely misplaced. Stand in front of a radar, can get you fried. Microwave ovens are shielded, so there isn't any known danger from using them. No one has ever proven any link between high power electrical lines and human illness, but the concerns remain for many. Those concerns would probably make "selling" the idea of individual use of microwave broadcast electricity difficult, or even impossible.

One of the better ideas for resolving our exponential need for electrical power is to station a geosynchronous satellite in space where the sun shines every minute of every year. The sun's rays would be used to turn a transform a liquid to gas thus releasing heat energy that would turn an electrical generator. As the satellite revolved, the gas would be re-transformed into a liquid on the "dark" side away from the sun. There are several condidates for a substance that could go through the necessary transformations, but that's probably not of much interest to non-technicians. The electricity produced by the satallite would then be beamed down to earth along narrow microwave channels to receivers, where the microwaves would be reconverted into raw A/C electicity and fed onto a regional grid. One physicist I know of calculated that the entire electrical needs of the U.S. in 2009 could be produced by no more than two such satellites broadcasting to as few as six earth stations. Is he right? I haven't a clue, this isn't really my field.

17. horselover fat

horselover fat in your driveway stealing your internet

im hard, tell me more

18. Asherman

Asherman New Member

The most promising, I'm told is a sodium based product. Like I said above, not my field.

19. horselover fat

horselover fat in your driveway stealing your internet

so are there any plans to get these built and sent up?
    and get the ground stations going?

20. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

I didn't realize Tesla, over 100 years ago, thought about it already

21. Asherman

Asherman New Member

I'm told that satellite generated electricity delivered via microwave has been around for awhile, but no one is interested in spending the money to set up the system. Other, sexier ideas get a lot of play, but this one is seldom mentioned. It is a pretty elegant solution and is within our technological capabilities, but has been generally thought too expensive.

Abundant electricity produced inexpensively, and without the need for non-renewable resources would resolve many of today's problems. It would also have a wide range of consequences. The energy choke hold of oil rich nations would end. Since the Industrial Revolution in the 19th century, Western technology and standards of living have been dependent upon burning non-renewable fossil fuels. To have those benefits, and they are many, we've paid a price and some of that price has been in cultural transformations that many folks mourn. The twentieth century revolution in communications technology, is a step away from transportation effectiveness/efficiency toward something entirely new. We live in exciting times that will someday be looked back on with great interest.