Wireless Disconnects

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Kingfisher, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Kingfisher

Kingfisher Keepin L's lit

I'm using the Linksys WRT54G Router with an existing DSL connection and I've got everything up and running. Only problem is that my aim or sometimes my entire wireless connection will disconnect every 30 minutes or so. I have the XP Firewall up, but am allowing exceptions. I have MAC Filtering, SSID Broadcast turned off, have done Port Triggering or Port Forwarding (I forget which one) for ports 5190-5193 (the aim ports). any idea what could be causing this?

I also tried searching and have done a Google on this but to no avail. :hs:

2. skooter

skooter Guest

Do you have the most up to date firmware for the router? How far are you away from the router? What type of wireless card are you using?

Personally if i have a hardware firewall i dont turn on the software firewall, that might be having conflicts but i doubt it, worth a shot tho.

3. madriver

madriver so yea. . .

Have you tried changing the wireless channel you use? Sometimes other appliances/cordless phones can affect the link. Also check your advanced settings and see if the "Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network" is checked off, and if it is, try unchecking it.

4. Kingfisher

I am using Channel 6. Also the box "Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network" is unchecked. The firmware is about 8 months old, would that be a/the problem? Also I am about 20 feet away from the router, but am going through 2 walls and plus the outside environment. Thanks.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Linksys :greddy:

6. Ximian

Ximian New Member

Disable the Windows Wireless Zero Configuration service and problem will be solved.

7. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

8. Kingfisher

Yesterdauy I was trying the fix the problem so what I did was disabled the Windows Wireless Zero Configuration and I switched the router to Channel 11 and also tried Channel 1 and for some reason my computer couldn't even recognize the router. So I had to reset the router and redo the install and configuration. Even today I'm getting disconnections. :wtc:

9. Kingfisher

:confused: What do you have?

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

For the next 2 days I'm using a netgear soho router... Starting Friday, tho, I'm going to be using a linux box setup to act as a router.

But if you want off-the-shelf stuff, then never get linksys. Netgear is much better. DLink is pretty good. Overall, I can think of only 1 linksys product that I've owned that hasn't failed... The rest are crap.

11. Kingfisher

And that is.........

Last edited: Dec 29, 2004
  12. bilmind

bilmind Licka' Licka' High

I used to have the same problem with my linksys, changed the channel, problem solved.

13. Kingfisher

Ok, I just turned off the Windows Wireless Zero Configuration; we'll see how that goes. If it still disconnects, I'm turning on the Windows Wireless Zero Configuration and changing the Channel to see if it works.

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

a really old 11mbps router with the original firmware. I'm amazed that it's still working. I tried twice to replace it with a linksys 54Mbps router, and both died within 6 months. I finally said screw-it, and went netgear. I'll never go back to linksys. I've also had 1 linksys wifi, and about 4 linksys 10/100 (I think they were the LNE100TX) ethernet cards go bad on me. Linksys stuff is WAY too expensive to have to keep replacing.

15. Kingfisher

ALright guys, I don't know what else could be causing this. I just got disconnected once again. I'm going to switch Channels and keep the Windows Wireless Zero COnfiguration turned OFF.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2004