Wireless Crew... Antenna Help?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by The Repair Man, Sep 4, 2006.

1. The Repair Man

The Repair Man New Member

Hiya. I just switched over from my old intel wireless router to a new linksys one. Problem is, It appears I am just always out of reach because I am getting dropped alot. The new router does better than the old one but I was curious if anyone had actually had any luck buying the upgraded antennas? If so I might pick em up, or look for a better aftermarket one to put on. I suppose if all else fails I could construct a pringles can or wok antenna. Watcha Think OT?

2. 7960

7960 New Member

-pringles can doesn't work as well as just about any bought antenna
    -my brother-in-law bought the "extended range" antennas for his linksys, didn't do shit

Best/easiest/first solution should be........move your access point. I'd guess you put it in the same place as the other one so are thinking "but the other worked just fine there." Do it...move it 5' in any direction and try again. No good? Move it 5' in the other direction and try again.

Adjust the antennas so they're not pointing straight up (put each at a 45* angle so they'd form a 90* angle if they met).

If you do get different antennas go for ones marked "high gain." The stock ones are 2.2db...get something around 5.5db. If you go higher then there's a chance you'll start losing signal because you're pinching down the lobes so far. If all else fails consider buying a directional antenna rather than another omnidirectional (like it came with) and move the access point to one side of the environment and aim the directionals to cover the largest area.

good luck

3. The Repair Man

The Repair Man New Member

ok thx. I'll try moving em and letting em sit for awhile and see if I get to many drops. While I have a thread up, I wanna ask about wireless N. Whats the deal with that. Is it just a step up from G, is it actually worthwhile to get for home use. I saw the N router for 139, and I'd have to get a wireless N card so prolly 250$ overall, but they saw 12x the range and speed so...?

4. Schproda

Schproda New Member

So the Linksys is better but it is dropping you where the Intel didn't? if both dropped, move your router away from electrical cords, lamps, or anything else that can cause interferance.

5. 7960

7960 New Member

wait and let the price drop