Wireless connectivity/location problems.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ManinCamo, Apr 15, 2004.

1. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

I just got a wireless PCI card b/c my apartment just got wireless internet setup.

I'm one of about 2 people on it right now - its in a testing phase and I'm cool enough that I talked to the maintanance guy and got the passcode to access the network.

I'll be on it for a minute or 5, then all the sudden i'll lose all availability of the wireless network. It just disapears and I can't find it. When I do have it, its fast, and I have good signal. When I don't have it... its gone, dead, no where to be found - nothing brings it back, its random.

All the newest drivers and software, etc. I've rebooted, reseated, everything I know how to do.

What can I do to geta stable connection?

D-Link Air Plus 802.11G DWL-G520 with speed burst thingy that allows 108 mb/s connections with Dlinks router.

My roomates IBM laptop's built in 802.11b card picks up the availability of the network by the way and works perfectly.

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I think you answered it with the first word of the 6th paragraph.

3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

^^ Dont think so...

Make sure you are using the Windows wireless configuration utility, and not the one that may be supplied with the card. (I'm assuming you have 2000 or XP)

Go into your wireless setup properties and look for a box in one of the advanced menus that says "Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network" and make sure it us UN-checked.

I had the same exact problem a few months ago when I setup a wireless network at 2 of my work locations.

HTH>

CM.

4. galek_spoo

galek_spoo New Member

Go into your wireless setup properties and look for a box in one of the advanced menus that says "Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network" and make sure it us UN-checked.

has this worked bcuz i have the same problem with a d-link 520 in my pc? i have the pcmcia card in my laptop and it has never had a connection problem.

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I do notice that it is checked on my PC which is hardwired and everything is fine, but on the wireless ones it seems to be the problem at least in my case. Give it a try and see what happens.

CM.

6. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

my dlink wifi pccard works fine :dunno:

7. diranged

diranged New Member

I have bought 3 DLink wireless cards and all 3 sucked ass. Most did that EXACT same thing -- switching to LinkSys fixed the problem. I think its a QA problem at DLink -- some seem to work fine, but others dont.