wireless connection w/ laptop

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ctang CG5, Jul 15, 2003.

1. ctang CG5

ctang CG5 New Member

Jun 7, 2003
    hey guys
    i am bout to get a laptop and i was wondering the requirements for a wireless connection to the internet from the laptop. the laptop has a mobile amd processor if that helps. i know i have to get a wireless router but do i have to get a wireless adapter card for my laptop? And whats the difference between a router and a point and access?
  2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

May 6, 2000
    You may have wireless ethernet built in to the laptop. If not you can always buy a PCMCIA wifi card.

An access point connects a wired ethernet network to a wireless one. A router lets multiple computers share one cable/DSL internet connection. Many companies like Linksys and Netgear sell one box that does both. Get something like http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=508 to connect to your cable/DSL. Then you'll be able to access the Internet and any other computers connected to it within your house. If you want to go outside the house and get on the net, you need a service from a cell phone company like Verizon or Sprint PCS but its a lot slower.