Wireless connection drops

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Synner, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Synner

Synner New Member

Ok, my neighbors are letting me use the network just so I don't have to go next door to check my email....I'm using a Belkin PCI wireless card, they've got a Westell PoS router...until I installed Mandriva, I had a steady connection, it'd stay up for days. Now, every few minutes (I'm back to XP), the connection will drop, and it'll say there are no wireless networks in range...if I repair the connection, it'll reconnect, and the signal's at 65%. What's the deal?

2. Rubberducky

Rubberducky New Member

I think might of been mandriva try uninstalling it. if that dosn't work it might be your card. Or it could be their wireless router. I had the same problem with my last router. i lost connection every 5 mins so i called them up and told me something was broken in it and had to get a new one.

3. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

You said the magic word, BELKIN.

I'm sorry but I hate, absolutely HATE that company. I have had so many of their products quite working or have extremely annoying, intermittent problems that I swear I will never buy another one of their products EVER again.
    /rantoff

Sorry, I've just had some very frustrating experiences with them.

I'm about to buy a new wireless router and I'm looking at the Linksys WRT54GL. There are many different kinds of Linksys WRT54 routers and they are NOT all equal. There's the G, GS, GL and others so be SURE you know what you are getting if you decide to switch.

I've heard excellent things from the GL model and here's a link to newegg:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124190
    Amazon also has good reviews for this model.

I also read where someone's 2.4 GHz phone was interferring with their wireless router and they finally solved the problem by replacing the phone with a 5.4 GHZ one.

4. Synner

Synner New Member

Guess what solved the problem....ditched the Windows WZC service. Using the Belkin config utility, and it hasn't dropped since, and that was a few hours ago.

5. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Well I hope for your sake it's fixed but I'm not convinced cuz of the B word. I don't know what it is about thier products but I've seriously had to replace everything I've ever bought from them.

6. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

You didn't have the Belkin utility and the Windows WZC service running at the same time, did you? That could definitely cause a conflict. I prefer the Windows wireless config.

7. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

We have a couple Belkin wireless access points around our plant at work and they seem pretty good. I definitely wouldn't say the best, but no problems here.

8. Synner

Synner New Member

No, I had it set up to use Windows to configure, so the Belkin utility only showed activity and hardware info. For some reason my setup just won't stay connected if it's idle and I'm using Windows for my connections. It hasn't dropped since yesterday.

9. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

i was having that same problem with WWZC running. I was using a WRT54G router and a linksys wireless card as well. That was pissing me off until no end until I found the WWZC was the problem.