Wireless connection always dropping to 11mbps

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by EG6, Jun 17, 2008.

1. EG6

EG6 OT Supporter

I've noticed that whenever I turn on torrents or newsgroups, my wireless transmit rate drops from 54mbps to 11mbps. The download would start off hovering around the 1.2MB/s and after 10-20 seconds would drop down to 370-380kb/s max

The connection goes like this:

downstairs computer -> WRT54GL -><- Wireless Bridge -> <- WRT54G -> Shaw Modem

Both routers are flashed with DD-WRT v24 firmware.

I've included some screenshots and hopefully there is something there that can be changed to fix this problem. :o

Basic settings:

[​IMG]

Advanced Settings:

[​IMG]

Wireless Status:

[​IMG]

I've tried changing the fixed transmit rate to 54mbps but whenever I do that my wireless would constantly cut out. I'd change channels and within a couple of minutes the connection would stop working and changed to limited connection. It would do that regardless of which channel I switch it to.

I don't think it's the client bridge router (WRT54GL) because I got it a couple of days ago. The internet for my iphone wouldn't work either whenever I have it set to a fixed tx rate of 54mbps.

2. asdfbunk

asdfbunk A Member OT Supporter

Mine used to do this, but now stays at 54mbps no matter what I do. I didn't do anything to fix the problem (I also tried fixing it at 54, but had the same issue as you). So .. in for answer.

3. EG6

EG6 OT Supporter

Anybody? :hs:

4. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

wasn't there something about how bittorrent can overload a router with connections and causes problems? i can't remember the specifics, but bittorrent would open so many connections that the router couldn't keep up and there was some setting to limit it. i'm sorry i saw this a long time ago, but it was specifically what led me to switching to the dd-wrt firmware.