Wireless card makes laptop go PSHHHHHHHHHHH *CRACKLE**POP*...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DatacomGuy, Aug 19, 2003.

1. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

..in the speakers whenever there is activity or data processing through the network.

It's a Compaq Presario 1200 laptop. Whenever I transfer anything, pass data through the network or whatever the speakers make static sounds until the transferring stops.

Any clue?? :( This sucks. Very annoying.

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

haha sounds like a problem a Compaq would have. Is this a wifi PC card or is it built in? Might try a different brand card if you can. Never seen that before.

3. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

The PSSSSSH is the blowoff valve.

4. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

BTW, everytime I move the mouse I hear feedback in my speakers. I have moved wires and there is nothing I can do about it.

5. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

w/e ever my cell phone rings all of the speakers on my computer get some crazy loud static.
    w/e i am on my normal cordless phone and walk past TV the TV goes crazy.
    w/e i am on the phone and someone turns on the microwave the phone receives a lot of static

Some devices just are susceptible to certain types of interference, you might try a different brand card, as mentioned above, but other than that, you're SOL.

6. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Your microwave is leaking. don't stand too close. Your cell is either gsm or tdma and that's why it interferes with your speakers.

7. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

My friends nextel causes interference with all speakers too.

8. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

:rofl: @ responses.

I think we need a recording and techno-remix of a vocal rendition of this "PSHHHHHHHHHHH *CRACKLE**POP*" of which you speak.

9. 04

04 Guest

Datacom Guy, check to see if the soundcard and modem are using the same irq.

It could also be some kind of interference you guys are experiencing. The onboard sound systems are not that great. If you are serious about your notebook sound, you can buy some nice PCMCIA soundcards.

10. TerryMathews

TerryMathews Guest

Nope, I've got the same model laptop.

The problem is that the speakers are not shielded. I'm not sure just exactly what solutions there are to this problem; I just removed the speaker assembly, as it saved some weight and eliminated the hiss.

11. DatacomGuy

:rofl::rofl::rofl: @ all these replies. :rofl:

TerryMatthews - How did you accomplish this? I'd like to unhook the speakers in the laptop so I don't have to hear it, but laptops are definately not my speciality.

12. DatacomGuy

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

13. 04

04 Guest

The speaker would have nothing to do in needing the shielding. Its input is a low impedence, high voltage signal, that is pretty impervious to noise. The amplifier circuit, or the low level interconnects are what need to be shielded from interference.

14. TerryMathews

TerryMathews Guest

Normally, I'd agree with you BUT the same noise does not occur on the headphone jack.

DatacomGuy: To unhook/remove the speaker bar, you need to remove the three screws on the bottom of the lappy closest to the user, and one inside the battery bay. The piece with the trackpad then lifts up and slides out. Tilt it over gently as to not pull the cable lose and you can see the speaker bar and where it's cables go. Just disconnect them.

The bar can be removed, but the laptop will be more back-heavy then. The speakers do actually weigh that much.

15. druid

druid What do the 5 fingers say?

I've got a Compaq Presario 1200 too, removing the speakers is easy. Not that I have done it but I have taken everything apart to fix other items. Go to www.compaq.com and go to the support section. Look up the specific model (there are many 1200's) and they should have a PDF showing detailed directions on how to disassemble everything. Shouldnt take more than 15-20 mins to take it apart unhook the speakers and put it all back together.

16. DatacomGuy

Sweeeeet. I'd hate to be without sound, but its worth it to not have to listen to that annoying BOV while trying to surf.. and those that have experienced this know how bad it gets when you download something. :(

I'll try it tonight.

17. 04

04 Guest

That still doesnt mean the noise is a result of the speaker or its wiring.

18. TerryMathews

TerryMathews Guest

Well, where else could it come from hmmmm? The speakers and headphones are wired together, where the speakers are cut off if a jack is inserted into the headphone jack. They are connected to the same output and amp. If the speaker has interference problems from the 802.11b card and the headphones don't, what other possibility can you infer?

I may not know as much about speakers as you, but I know the 1200 series like the back of my hand. I've rebuilt my 1247 too many times to count.

19. 04

04 Guest

I am not saying you dont know about the computer, I am just saying that its not the speaker picking up the noise. If you still think the speaker is actually what is causing the noise, here is an EASY way to make sure. Disconnect the speaker wire leads running to the speaker, but leave the speaker in its factory position. Then start the computer up. If the noise is still there, then I am wrong, and the speaker is picking up the noise. Otherwise it isnt, and the amplifier or preamp is causing the problem.

Believe it or not, the voice coil of the speaker could be working as some sort of antenna for the noise and it is going back into the amplifier through this. But, like I said before, this is a PROBLEM WITH THE AMPLIFIER, not the speaker.

20. TerryMathews

TerryMathews Guest

Okay, I'll buy that. Point being, the problem still lies with the speaker. Remove it, and the problem's gone.

21. DatacomGuy

Terry - How'd you get the back off? The three screws closer to the user end are not regular, and I couldn't get them loose with a hex either. What did you use?

22. TerryMathews

TerryMathews Guest

I toyed around with standard micro screwdrivers till I found one that wouldn't slip.

23. DatacomGuy

Dammit. Don't have any of these. :(

24. druid

druid What do the 5 fingers say?

Those screws are a bitch, some kind of little tiny torq things. I had a set of little tiny screwdrivers that did the trick after alot of pressure and time.

25. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Probably the same kind of screwdriver you have to get to take apart a TI-83... It's a special little torque driver, you can get them at good electronics stores and such.