wireless card doesn't wanna connect to anything

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cheezit, Jan 8, 2004.

1. cheezit

cheezit Guest

ok, i have a dell inspiron 5100 with a truemobile 1300 card. my card won't log on to any access points. it says it doesn't detect any when i'm sitting in a place i know is running wireless. netstumbler will even pick up the ap point in the second it stays open before my card crashes it. i think i screwed up a setting somewhere, but i can't tell where. i've never used wireless before a week ago, so this is new to me. i'm pretty sure i disabled the "let windows" option for setting up the card, but i dunno where the option is now. sorry for the rambling stupid question, but any ideas? i'm running xp pro, if that makes a difference.

2. Moparx

Moparx New Member

is your card compatable with your access points? (ie if the card is 802.11g and the access points are 802.11b (or visa versa) then there is a possibility that it won't work.

did you disable the suid broadcasting on them? if you did then you will not see the access points when you scan for them.

did it come with any installation software that it wanted installed with the card?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2004
  3. cheezit

cheezit Guest

yeah, i have all the drivers set up. its a g card that's supposed to piggyback b networks. how would i disable suid broadcasting? and...uh...whats that mean? i'm new to wireless networking...and where is the option to let windows configure my card? i turned that off i think. would uninstalling all the drivers (wireless, ethernet, 1394 and bridge) and then reinstalling work? cuz a few days ago it was working fine.

4. Moparx

Moparx New Member

by default your wireless router will broadcast a suid so that anyone with a wireless card can detect it. until you get yours working again i would make sure that it is broadcasting and not disabled so that you can see it. i doubt you changed anything there so it should be broadcasting.

before it stopped working did you upgrade the drivers or anything? the first thing to do would be reinstalling the drivers and seeing if that fixes it. you should only need to reinstall the drivers for the wireless card not the others
    if that doesn't work try letting windows configure it.

5. cheezit

cheezit Guest

where would the option to let windows configure it? i haven't touched the drivers. i figured there might be a setting i don't know about short of reinstalling the drivers. haha. thanks for the help, as well.

6. Moparx

Moparx New Member

goto network connections. right-click your wireless network adapter and selection properties. goto wireless network and select use windows to configure my wireless network settings.

if you see the access point in the list in that tab config your card for it there as well

Last edited: Jan 8, 2004
  7. cheezit

cheezit Guest

ok, thanks! i'll try this. can't find wireless until tomorrow, though. thanks for all the help again.