Wireless AP posistioning in 3 story house?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by spoofy, Oct 17, 2005.

1. spoofy

spoofy Chemically Enhanced

I have a tall 3 story house. It isnt very wide.. however. Currently I have my AP on the 2nd floor of the house and when I am on the 3rd floor the signal is OK but on the 1st floor it sucks. I've tried changing the angle of the antennas and nothing works. I've even upgraded the linksys antennas to two 9dbi.

Now it doesnt seem like the signal is weak..it is either strong.. or simply not there when I am on the 1st floor. Also we do have multple 2ghz phones around the house.

Anyway .. so my question is.. what is the best way to provide a good signal througout my entire house reliably? I was thinking about getting a wireless bridge and putting it on the 1st floor by the stairs..but I wanted to avoid spending the money if i could.

anyway.. suggestions?

2. 7960

7960 New Member

you bought hi-gain antennas, but are they directioned the right way? You probably have them sticking up... try mounting the AP on a wall, so they stick out and are parallel to the floor.

but........ since it's good on the 3rd floor and bad on the 1st, maybe there's something in the floor between the 1st/2nd floors that's blocking the signal? My house is 110 years old and is full of chicken-wire plaster and lattice. My signal barely goes through 2 walls. Move your AP across the room...if might be there are pipes or heating ducts interfering.

3. spoofy

spoofy Chemically Enhanced

you using sveasoft's alchemy i guess?

4. xheliox

xheliox It's Good To Be King

What about those "range extenders" (repeaters) I keep seeing? Do they work?

5. tony

tony Guest

Use two APs, one on the 1st floor, and another on the 3rd. It will cost more, yes, but its more than worth it when you're eliminating the cost of the extra antenas/time/effort/headaches/etc. You CAN use high-gain antenas, but those get pricy quickly.

You may have to use hacked firmware with a wrt54 linksys, not all APs (im talking about the cheaper routers here) support being used as a wireless-wireless bridge. If you can hard-wire both, then you'll have no problems and can get any AP/Router. I bought a Airlink+ wireless gateway that I use as a wireless bridge that I got at Fry's for something like $20. It works like a champ.

6. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

yeah, i'd sugest getting two wireless routers.

Thats what we're doing. I'm suprised u get ANY signal with those cordless phones. We finally got ride of all of ours. We bought 2 5.8 Ghz (doesnt interfer) at Costco for pretty cheap, and they came together. Then we've got 2 900 MHz phones.

GL with it, and you can buy a range extender, the linksys ones are like 20 or 30 i believe.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Put the wireless router in the stairwell. You'll avoid the foil covering on the fiberglass insulation in your floors that way.