Wireless Access Point Signal Boosters

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mr. President, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Mr. President

Mr. President New Member

Hey guys,

Has anyone had any experience with wireless access point/router signal boosters?

I am looking specifically at the Linksys WSB24.

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=38&prid=478

It has +14 dBm peak gain, +20 dBm receiver gain and max +20 dBm Tx input power. I honestly have no idea what those numbers mean. I am trying to get the signal to reach inside of my car in my driveway. I can connect the Mp3Car to the wireless network when the trunk door is open, but not when it's closed.

I've also heard about signal boosters you can make at home, but it seems like they have to be pointing in a certain direction to boost the signal. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 12, 2003
  2. Kabuko

Kabuko Guest

If you're having problems because of your trunk, it might be better just to get a different antennae and hook it up on the outside of your car or something? Just an idea. If your trunk is somehow shielding it from the network, then the boosters might not be enough of an increase in signal. Usually homemade stuff is for custom antennae, I haven't seen a diagram for boosters, but many for antennae.

3. Mr. President

Mr. President New Member

Yeah, glass blocks wifi like a brick wall. I'm hoping the signal booster would help.