Wireless 802.11b Print Server (jetdirect) speed questions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by elevator, May 15, 2007.

1. elevator

elevator The tenants think it's wonderful! ヽ(´ OT Supporter

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

It'll be slow, but 802.11b is not the problem. jetdirect is always slow, imo.

3. elevator

Do I have another option? I didn't think any wireless print server (other than jetdirect) would work with this large format printer...

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

We have an old HP Vectra mini-PC (the brand is purely coincidental) plugged into our DesignJet 5500ps as its dedicated print server, and it communicates with the printer via a good old-fashioned parallel cable. The reasoning behind this was that a server running Windows would be easier to manage, and a direct connection using a bi-directional parallel cable would not present a bottleneck. On both counts, I was correct -- the printer that was once the bane of my corporate existence is now a dream to work with.

5. elevator

That would be a good option if I had a spare computer with a wireless card, but alas I have none.

6. deusexaethera

Well, you're going to have to have a print server for your DesignJet anyway, because all the JetDirect card does is let the printer connect to Ethernet -- something still needs to spool the print jobs, and that something is whatever computer you give the job to. Based on my own experience, you'll suffer a lot less pain if you pick up the cheapest POS computer you can get your hands on and use it as a local server for your DesignJet, instead of fighting with the WebJetAdmin software that you have to install on a remote server if you choose to go that route.

Is there any particular reason why you can't just run an ethernet cable from your 802.11n router to your printer? Is it across the house or something? You really don't want to add wireless connectivity issues to the pile of shit you're going to have to deal with trying to get a DesignJet printer to work reliably.

7. copiertalk

copiertalk Secure Our Borders! OT Supporter

it will be slow.. Almost painful. A full color 42 inch document of any length will be a huge amount of data.

8. elevator

It is accross the room and I don't want to run cables. Also, the designjet doesn't have an ethernet port so that wont work. I think I may have a spare computer I can throw a wireless card in (will 802.11g work ok, the n cards are kind of pricey).

9. deusexaethera

Your DesignJet didn't come with a wired JetDirect card? How very odd. And here I thought part of the $5000-25000 purchase price was automatic inclusion of everything you'd ever need, including a tech to come install it for you.

10. copiertalk

wait for when he finds out it only comes with 16 meg of ram. If he thinks wireless is slow, wait for when he sends it a job and it takes two days to print.

11. deusexaethera

Mine has a 16GB hard drive in it. :big grin:

I wasn't kidding about the technician. Our printer literally arrived on a truck with an install tech sitting in the passenger seat. We didn't get to keep him, though. :wtc:

12. elevator

I've had it for a while, I only print monochrome line drawings. Prints plenty fast with stock memory :hs:

13. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

You must work for our Assessor's office casue they do the same fucked up shit when ever they get a chance. They recently got a new HP wide format color printer, instead of spending the extra $500 for the nice new internal 100/10 Jet Direct card they took an old POS Jetdirect box that's been unused for about 5 years (we were literally going to throw it away since we don't use them anymore) with a bidirectional parallel port cable and hooked it up that way. WTF?!

14. copiertalk

I know. I will help hook it up, give the It guys some pointers and help install on their server and two work stations. If the machine has enouph profit in it we will even put some more effort into it tham that.

sweet deal. better than ebay anytime.

15. copiertalk

Than you should have purchased a kip monochrome wide format printer.

16. elevator

Well sometimes I print color lines, but no graphics :fawk:

17. copiertalk

look man, I am not trying to force your hand.

you are putting more ink into the waste tank than on paper with that printer.

if you consider the cost of ink and paper and how much that printer cost you. you would know just how much money you throw away every time it fires up.

have your company look into a business color enabled device. It was designed for your exact specs as it only uses color when needed. 10% color and 90% black and white.

What your printer uses is called process black. it combines cmyk to produce black. your company will save money.

18. elevator

Our designjet 500 has a black cartridge and since we mainly print black, I have replaced it about 5 times over the last year. We do color very little and I have not replaced any color for 2 years... :hsugh: (I use a monochrome pen style)

19. copiertalk

how many feet per year do you print?

20. elevator

I have no idea, a lot though. We have to do several copies of the drawing books

21. copiertalk

what size if I can ask?

24X18 or 36X48?

not picking on you I actually want to know. to have that few catridges replaces in such a long time you must do stricly line drawings?

Most people want to print an 8 foot long by 42 inch wide photograph of theiir wife and wonder why it looks like shit.

22. elevator

:rofl: its the 24"

And yes, only line drawings (plus the occasional company logo)

23. copiertalk

ok.

If wireless is all you have than and that is your only option. The specs on that printer tell me that the job is ripped on the host machine and then sent to the printer to be printed.

That will take a while and that is why it has low memory. It has no need for memory as it only has to save page data. It does not have to rip and process the print job.

for line printing and such a wireless print server may wonk, It will be slower but will work.

you will not send enouph data with line printing to make and difference on a wireless network. if it was full color and 65536 colors you would notice it and it will slow to a crawl.

I hope I helped you some

24. elevator

yep, got it hooked up to a spare desktop with a wireless connection to the network. thanks mang :wavey:

25. deusexaethera

It will work just as well.