Wire routing for on-wall speakers

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mdaniel, Dec 13, 2005.

1. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I'm going to mount 4 speakers on the back and side walls near the ceiling for surround sound. The wires will go through the attic above the room. The issue is how exactly to get the wire through the wall to the speaker. I'd rather not see a wire sticking out of the ceiling on the way to the speaker. Has anyone drilled through the top plate, stuck the wire into the wall cavity, then fished it out through a hole in the wallboard behind the speaker? Good idea? Too much work?

2. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

What I do is make your hole in the wall where the speaker will go, then go up in the attic, drill a hole in the joist at the top of that wall, and then snake a metal fish tape down the wall cavity through that hole, and have someone else catch that fishtape and hook your speaker wire to the end, and then you pull it up. Then just string it across the attic and do the same thing wherever the receiver/amp end of the wire goes, except just snaking the bare wire down the wall and fishing it out.

3. johnson

johnson New Member

Mount the speakers 2' above ear level when sitting down, not near the ceiling.

4. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Unfortunately, to do that, two speakers would have to be attached to the sliding glass window and one would have to sit on the kitchen counter.

5. johnson

johnson New Member

then so be it