GUN Wiping down your guns?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Mr. Pelham, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Mr. Pelham

Mr. Pelham Guest

I was told that if you don't wipe down your guns after every single use that the oils from your fingers will chew through your gun and ruin it over time.

Any truth to that?

2. Not really. Anything metal can corrode, and body oil can help it along, but unless you're seriously neglecting your gun the odds of ruining it with oil are slim. This is especially true for guns with excellent coatings, you can carry the thing for years with minimal care and it will still look new.

3. Mr. Pelham

Mr. Pelham Guest

I figured. A guy I went shooting with was wiping his down basically after every round he fired :mamoru: When I asked why he told me that. :dunno:

4. People at ranges do crazy things.

5. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Sounds like he's afraid to get his gun dirty.

I usually wipe mine down at the end of a range day, after several hours of use, etc. Or if I take it plinking in the woods, whenever I get back home I wipe it down after a good internal cleaning.

6. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

if the finish is complete garbage and worn off then it might be a concern, but assuming you aren't rubbing an abused and heavily worn weapon with it's finish pretty much toast then it's pretty crazy to wipe it down constantly

7. He needs a Glock.

8. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

Some of my guns get more fucked up than others.

For example, I don't wipe down the frame of my sig, and i dont think i ever have on my AR. but if i dont wipe down my 870 it will develop surface rust in the spots that i've touched.

9. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

My 870 has the new shitty finish. I have to wipe it down weekly or it gets surface rust.

10. JRucker2004

JRucker2004 New Member

Blueing is a poor, old, and obsolete finish. Yeah, it looks nice, but as far as corrosion resistance is concerned, it sucks.
    In fact, bluing IS corrosion, controlled corrosion, but corrosion none the less.
    Bluing is basically the bigger brother of browning (which is what was used on muskets way the fuck back when, and before then).
    If corrosion resistance is your top priority, there are much better options than bluing.

11. AB13

AB13 New Member

lol, my SVI slide is blued, and I handle that bitch every waking moment, it's sitting rite next to me as I type. Probably should be reblued, but I could give a shit. Arfcommers would probably faint if they seen my guns.

12. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

I'd just buy polymer or stainless so there's no real concern of corrosion.

13. mstad

mstad New Member

Yeah, I know I've seen at least a couple hundred rounds go through it.

That's just plain abuse.

14. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

That is kind of an old school attitude. My uncle, who has been a hunter his entire life, will wipe his guns after every use. Went hunting with him last year and we came in and he was wiping his and mine down right after we came in each day.

I think it stems from when guns didnt have as good of coatings as they do now and the old school hunters who would handle their guns for a few weeks, put them away and have them sit till next year so the guns had time to corrode.

15. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

EEzox

16. LancerV

Never had any gun show any sign of rust with eezox even when hunting in the pouring down rain and not wiping down for a week

17. Mr. Pelham

Mr. Pelham Guest

I think you may be right, he's an old school hunter/collector.

18. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

What?

19. LancerV

20. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Derpends on your guns, the finish on your guns, and the conditions of where you shoot. I have a bad habit of shooting in the rain then throwng my guns in the case and not wiping them down for a day. The shit is covered with orange rust. Mostly it's the pins and screws and stuff, but any polished surfaces are affected too. I should wipe down and clean my guns at the range on rainy days or I've been told I can spray the inside of my rifle case with rem-oil (just doesn't seem like a good idea to me)

The shitty finish of the new rem 870's need to be wiped down if there is any moisture. I'm going to have my 870 cera-coated.

Heck even the glocks can have problems in the rain. Not the gun itself but the aftermarket sights I have on the thing. My rear adj sights turned orange after a week in the pistol run after a rain match.

I'm sure if you lived somewhere with a lot of humidity it can be a problem too.

21. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Fuck rust. All of *my* stuff looks like complete dogshit. Surface rust on everything. Remington factory finishes are just about the worst, as that shit will start rusting if you just look at it sideways.

If given the option, I'll take stainless any day of the week over carbon stuff. I hate blued stuff.

Wiping stuff down helps, so does not keeping things in a case, and not keeping guns outside/in barns/in basement. I have to keep my stuff in awkward spots in my house, where there is the lowest humidity/temperature change.

22. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

easiest solution is to leave your guns in your safe

23. PromptCritical

PromptCritical Agent of Entropy

:werd:

Who that fuck are these clowns that actually fire their guns?

24. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

Good shit

25. Sa7aN

Sa7aN STEELERS FTW

only one i do that to is my dads old over under skeet gun, since it hardly ever gets touched and id rather wipe it down again before letting it sit for a year