WinXP screensaver question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Wolf, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

I have 2 WinXP Pro computers at work. One was installed by the company and is on the domain, I installed XP Pro on the other one.

On the company installation, the screensaver will come on even when the computer is locked. On the other one, when the workstation is locked, the SS won't come on. How can I set the SS to come on even when I've locked the workstation?

2. Intuit

Intuit Guest

I know that user-specific settings are stored under the HKCU portion of the registry.
    System-specific settings (and often override user settings) are stored under the HKLM\Software portion of the registry.

Does the same screensaver come-up when he has logged-off the computer instead of locked ? Is it possible that a screensaver option has been set under HKLM\Software key ?
    Is it also possible that the "ScreenSaveSecure" option is influencing this ?

3. Wolf

ScreenSaveSecure is set to 0 on both machines. I think that just sets whether you have to give the password when you exit the screensaver.

When I'm logged out, no saver comes up.

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

If you want to lock your machine and also have the screen saver, just go into the screen saver dialog box and password protect it. Put it to a reasonable time for you. And when you go to stop the screen saver the machine will be locked.

HTH.

5. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Beats me but as long as your options in the screen saver tab are identical, I don't see why it would be different. I know that on some computers with jittery mice, the screen saver never kicks in.

6. Wolf

Found it. If you have it set so you have to press ctrl-alt-del before entering the password, the screensaver will come on. If not, it won't.