[WinXP] S-ata Raid-0 boot problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Silfx, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Silfx

Silfx New Member

I have a problem with booting Windows XP prof, after the first stage of
    the instalation. I builded a RAID-0 config with 2 SATA 200GB HD's and
    booted with a WinME Boot disk and made a 10GB partition. After that I started
    the installation from the DOS-prompt, after the fily copy process the ystem reboots
    and comes with the following msg: Operating System not found

In the BIOS I have the following BOOT sequence:

1: Floppy drives
    2: IDE CD: DVD-ROM
    3: IDE CD: DVD-RW
    4: PCI SCSI: Nvidia Stripe 379.84G
    5: PCI BEV: Nvidia Boot Agent 210.048

Other BIOS settings

SATA0 Controller: Enabled
    SATA1 Controller: Enabled

NVRAID Enabled
    SATA0: Enabled
    SATA1: Enabled
    SATA2: Enabled
    SATA3: Enabled

Large Disk Acces mode: DOS (andere mogelijkheid other maar maakt geen verschil)

Installed OS: WinXP Prof (andere keuzes: Novell, Linux, WinXP64, Other maar maakt allemaal geen verschil)

Below my Boot.ini:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

I also try'ed SCSI instead of multi, acc to MS and several forums afaik the following
    Boot.ini should be good (altough non of the config's I found matched mine)

The reason I can boot from CD and install is because when he wnats to start WinXP
    he gives a BSOD with the following info Process1_initialization_failed (STOP: 0X0000006B)
    The error also states that I need to disable all memory options like Cashing and
    shadowing, I disabled everything I could but my Video and main BIOS remain shadow'ed
    Searching for the error gives me imo non-relevant info from when you are installing from a RIS
    server or about running the 2nd OS from a RAID-1 config's 2nd disc (afaik)

The configuration is:

AMD Opteron 254 (2,8Ghz)
    TYAN K8WE
    Onboard nvidia S-ATA raid controller
    2X 1GB CL 2,5 ECC REG MUSHKIN memory
    2X 200GB maxtor DM10 disks
    LG DVD-speler
    NEC 3500 DVD burner

So basicly I need a solution for either the BSOD or away to boot WinXP when installing from DOS. With the DOS install I think its still the boot.ini altough I wouldnt know how it should be then and even then there is still a chance I get the BSOD :(.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2005
  2. tony

tony Guest

Try: fdisk /mbr

3. Silfx

Silfx New Member

thx that worked :coolugh:

But as I feared I now get the same problem I get when t ry-ing to install form CD :(. He gives a BSOD when he wants to start Windows XP (rest of setup) (wich basicly takes to long and he gives me a BSOD) with the following info Process1_initialization_failed (STOP: 0X0000006B) The error also states that I need to disable all memory options like Cashing and shadowing, I disabled everything I could but my Video and main BIOS remain shadow'ed and there is a chance other parts of my RAM are as well. Searching for the error gives me imo non-relevant info from when you are installing from a RIS
    server or about running the 2nd OS from a RAID-1 config's 2nd disc (afaik)

Anyone know how to by-pass this

4. eck

eck New Member

This is a huge assumption and I apologize if I insult your intelligence, but WinXP does not have native SATA drivers yet so I assume that it would not have SATA Raid controller drivers either. Have you slipstreamed those drivers onto your winxp install cd?

5. Silfx

Silfx New Member

thoise drivers where added with F6 under the setup, the main problem seems to be that my main and video BIOS (and prob parts of my ram) are Shadow'ed and cash'ed with no way to turn that off. I think this is the reason of the Bsod :(

6. eck

eck New Member

Ah, I always forget about F6. I haven't had a floppy drive in years because they are clearly the devil ;)

Is this a setup you've had working in the past?

7. Silfx

Silfx New Member

no, got the system 2 days ago.

8. Silfx

Silfx New Member

Didnt work for me WinXP still wont install. managed to get a Win2K3 copy wich installed with out any problems though altough in windows in some situation I got memory related Bsod's in the beginning fully patching and latest drivers fixed that. So I prob need to make an attended XP CD with all patches and latest drivers, altough atm I'am more then happy with this 2K3 install everything runs perfectly now so ill use this for now. Some further google'ing and error searching I also found out that XP 64 bit should work normally guess it just that WinXP+SP2 cant handle Nforce 4 Pro chiptsets untill completly patched with latest drivers, so problem solved thx all :)

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

NEVER install Windows on RAID-0. It is too dangerous. Use a small old disk for Windows and put games on the RAID-0.