WINXP: Memory Information not Correct.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Flux, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Flux

Flux uh huh, yeah OT Supporter

I'm currently missing 2 gigabytes of free space, and I don't know why this has occurred. This has happened before, but it was easily fixed with scandisk and whatnot. But this time, no errors are found, everything's perfect, yet I'm stuck with this dilemma:

[​IMG]

I've selected EVERYTHING (hidden files etc.), and it shows that I've only used 36 gigs. But then after inspecting C: drive itself (right click properties), it says I've used 38 gigs! I don't get this at all. Can someone help me out there?
    Oh and going in depth: I just installed WinXP today. I deleted windows 98, converted my fat32 into NTFS, then proceeded to install WinXP (if that helps).
    2 gigs is a lot for me. Thanks!

2. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

try running defrag? :dunno:
    and your files = 34 GB which != 34 billion bytes

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Well you've missed something because Windows is calculating how long each program is in bytes and then totalling it up. Then it's also totalling up how much space you are using. You have the first non compressed HD I have ever seen that used up less space than the total number length of the files in bytes. Each file normally takes up a multiple of 512 bytes. Ie 2 files 1 byte long should take up 1k, not 2 bytes. Now there are some directories within WINNT that aren't selected. Try selecting everything but WINNT and you'll see size on disk > size. Now select just WINNT, size on disk < size right?

4. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Does the info on the left include stuff like NTFS journaling data? Or is that not even shown as free space?

Just an idea I had.

5. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Available space is always 'chopped' off the total amount due to Partitioning, cache, NTFS data, etc.

Example: I just installed a 40GB slave drive, and it comes up as 38.2 available.

6. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

You will ALWAYS have some space missing at the end of the harddrive. This is due to the Filesystem and a bunch of other crap. Heh, I've seen many people try to return their harddrives because of this, then accuse the clerk of false advertisment. Kind of funny to watch sometimes. :p

7. Zourn

40GB on the HDD box = 40 billion bytes = 37.25 GB

8. Zourn

oh yeah, something i just remembered, is your Recycle Bin empty? because when files go there they won't show on the C:\ drive but will in the total amount used of the drive.

9. 5Gen_Prelude

It's like I'm talking to styrofoam...

10. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

:rofl:

11. Flux

Flux uh huh, yeah OT Supporter

Hmm I know I'm like the newbie type and all..
    However, my other hard drive doesn't seem to have this large '2GB' gap; only 50~mg in difference.

What you need to see is the actual bytes itself. I know that 40GB does not mean exactly 40GB. The hard drive stores 40,000,000,000 but windows reads it as 37.2. I already know that; but the difference is in the two windows. Everything selected, and the big 2GB difference is clearly shown

Recycle bin empty, everything selected and whatnot.
    Certainly 2 missing GBs can't be used for all that indexing/etc. Thanks for your help anyways.. I'll try to defrag it tonight and check the outcomes :)

(any further advice is appreciated)

12. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Don't worry about it. The larger the hard drive, the more space missing. You can return your harddrive, you'll get the same thing with a new one. Don't worry about it.

13. 5Gen_Prelude

As I mentioned, but everyone just glossed over like I was rambling, your WINNT directory for some reason does not report the size on disk properly. Try it - your space on disk should always be higher than the size of the files. And overall that's true, but not under WINNT. To calculate your possible waste of space, take the number of files you have and multiply that by 511. That is the MAXIMUM size (in bytes) you can waste. I think if you work it out on your drive it's like 14 megs.