Winter trucking - how much weight in back of RWD full-size?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Squonk, Dec 5, 2002.

1. Squonk

Squonk But if you don't stand up, you don't stand a chanc

This is my first winter with my 2002 Silverado RWD. I have put 300 lbs in the back of the bed (6ea 50lb sand bags). How much weight do you recommend?

2. Otto

Otto Who the hell do you think I am!?!?!?!

that sounds about right, wont make a dramatic improvement but it will help, just remember to keep them all the way in the back of the bed against the tailgate

3. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

No, no, no. You put the weight around the wheel well in order to have that weight directly above your rear tires. That is the purpose of having the weight to begin with. 300 pounds isn't bad, I'd put about 100 more in persoanlly.

4. Otto

Otto Who the hell do you think I am!?!?!?!

but wouldnt putting it against the tailgate have a leverage effect. Its kinda like adjusting Tounge weight, you can move something around on a trailer to put more or less weight on the tounge of the trailer without actually adding more weight

5. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

Putting it anywhere in the bed of the truck will help but its most effective directly over the rear wheels.

6. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

putting it behind the the wheels will more of a moment trying to spin the car

on top of the rear wheels is the best bet from a physics stand point as far as how much your gues sis as good as mine it all depends on vehicle weight hp tires wheel base ect

id go with 100-200 pounds