A&P Winter Photography v.temperature

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by hurleyint1386, Oct 14, 2008.

1. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

So as it starts getting closer to winter, it will start getting colder out. Is there a specific temperature that I should avoid going out into with my camera? Here in Rochester it can be near 80° one day, and -30° the next.

2. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

My concern would be getting the camera in a nice transitional temperatured space so that you don't form condensation inside the camera when you bring back your camera from outside (when cold) to your heated home.

During winter here in VA, I just leave my camera inside the camera bag for about an hour or two before taking it out and exposing it to heated air inside. But our winter doesn't get down to -30°.

3. hurleyint1386

I was actually exaggerating the -30°, although it does get below 0°. But that's exactly what I'm worried about. Condensation in the lens/body and ruining something. It will probably start snowing here in the next month and not end until about March, so that's a long time to not be able to take pictars!

4. FindersKeepers

FindersKeepers New Member

get a weathersealed body? :o

lol :dunno: im in FL i dont has to worry about this much

5. hurleyint1386

I just bought a 40d. It's not weather proof, but it's got some seals to help. Any other suggestions that don't require paying for new equipment?

6. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

I've been shooting in the winter for along time starting with my old d70 that wasn't weather sealed, and now I shoot with my d200 outside in winter. I've also been outside for HOURS at night in near 0 degree temps with a mamiya 645 as well as a nikon f100, and it was fine.

7. hurleyint1386

It feels good to hear a fellow Rochestarian say that. So I assume you shoot then bring your camera home and let it sit for a while. How long do you wait before doing anything with it. Also, should the CF card be fine for removing to upload? Or should I wait for that as well?

8. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

I shot in freezing cold temps when I lived back in Michigan. I'm assuming the winters are about the same here. I lived about 30 miles from Lake Michigan so the lake effect snow was insane. Pretty much the only thing you should worry about is condensation build up, especially on the sensor. Just stick your whole camera in a plastic bag if you're going to be taking it from really cold temps to indoors, especially if it's humid. I never worried about the CF card.

9. Bloke

Bloke Banned

i was worried about the film itself getting cold and brittle but that never seems to happen
    your worry should be your battery

10. FindersKeepers

FindersKeepers New Member

Hurley,

Don't put the camera inside your jacket, and I think you'll be fine.

Think of it like eye glasses, blow cold air in your face for 30 minutes from a car AC then step out into a humid/hot environment = FOG

BUT walking from WARM to cold, this never happens for me... I've only had them fog up cold to warm...

I've shot in rain with my 40d, it's gotten SOAKED with water from a hose, I just quickly grab the microfiber and wipe the body off, all contacts, and no water seemed to get elsewhere...

I go from inside a cold building to the hot humid FL weather allt he time abruptly, and all is good

:dunno: It hink you'll be fine as long as you aren't shooting in slush

11. BeachBoy

BeachBoy New Member

I worked below -30 and the worse is your fingers (hard to manipulate with gloves)

I keep batteries warm in my pockets.

Also, I always put my camera in a large ziploc and suck out air when I go from inside to outside or back as it lets the condensation on the bag and not the camera.

I use 4 batteries because they tend to run out quickly.

12. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

I spend many cold winter nights here in ohio shooting astrophotos with my 40D and it doesn't hurt the camera. Actually it dramatically reduces the noise.
    So much so that the real serious deep space guys actually put their camera inside a cooling system that takes it down to around -40 or -30 degrees to help with sensitivity and noise reduction.

13. Bob

Bob ADU elitist prick

put your camera in an air tight bag before you go inside, and don't take it out till it's warmed up to room temperature.

14. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

Going from hot to cold is no problem.
    Going from cold to hot/humid is where you will get condensation

Just be sure to put everything back into your bag before you go inside and you can always keep some of those silica packets in your bag to help against humidity.
    Dont take the camera out until it has risen in temperature to be close to what your room temperature is and you should be fine
    If you want to edit the pictures right away, take the card out before you go inside and just use a card reader.

15. f/2.8L

f/2.8L New Member

Just remember to take it slow. Don't rush either / or.

16. PUREVIL

PUREVIL More Money Than Brains Croo

Last year in ND we had a short period (3 or 4 days) where it was -75 with the wind chill.... that was f'in brutal. No one wants to go anywhere.... taking my camera out that day would be the last thing I'd be doing hahaha.