Winter is finally over, need some help...

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Masta Z, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Masta Z

Masta Z FUCK BOSTON

Well guys, winter has finally come to an end and i plan on detailing the interior/exterior on my 04 Dodge Ram 1500. I wanna do the whole deal and make the paint as good as new, it held up pretty well in winter and i hope to restore the mirror like shine. Now, i dont have too much money to spend and i need to get the best results. What are some good products that i could apply and remove by hand? im not too good with a buffer. I use the NXT High Tech car wash. I have the NXT spray wax in my garage but im looking to go into more detail. The paint is pretty grimey

So my question is: What should i buy this weekend in order to get the best results for the cheapest? Exterior and interior products
    Also, if im going to do claybar on my truck, its quite big, and i would appreciate any instructions and how long it would take. Im a total n00b with all this. :hs:

Thanks
    -Z

2. Masta Z

Masta Z FUCK BOSTON

oh, the paint also has some swirls and i would like to know the most efficient way to minimize them

3. black 3g

black 3g Guest

If you are looking to buy things locally, I would get Meguiars 3 Step Combo. I cant remember exactly what they are called and the Meguiars site is down. I'm pretty sure one is a polish, one is a cleaner wax, and the other one is a glaze.

I would definately stick with the NXT wash. It is a great wash for a great price.

For clay, you can pick up Meguiars, Clay Magic, or Mothers clay kits. They are all good products and will improve the quality of your finish dramatically. IMO, there are two very important rules when it comes to claying. First, never use a dropped piece of clay on your truck. I find it best to cut the clay in half to save the rest in case of an accident. Second, keep the paint surface lubricated. The kits I mentioned will come with a lubricant or quick detailer. Other than that, claying is very easy and very bennificial.

How long it will take is a different story. Remember that your finished product will be a direct result of your paint preps. The more detailed you get, the better the result. I would set aside about 5-6 hours for the things that I've mentioned.

Just in case you weren't exactly sure on which step goes where, here is a list:

Wash
    Clay
    Polish
    Wax
    Seal/Glaze

4. black 3g

black 3g Guest

The most efficient way to minimize them would be with a buffer and products specifically meant for swirl removal. Because you said you were a bit tight on cash, I would just try and find the best polish and take two passes on the whole vehicle during the complete detail you are planning.

5. Masta Z

Masta Z FUCK BOSTON

thanks a ton bro

6. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Read though the swirl removal sticky, that should help.