WinSCP and FileZilla Problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by nucklearknight, Jan 9, 2009.

1. nucklearknight

nucklearknight New Member

I follow these directions exactly. And yet I still get shot down! Any suggestions? I am hosting a website from my computer which is why I want to be able to access the files remotely.

you will need a static address for your computer. Fortunately, you don't need to pay anything if you use a free service like DynDNS which gives you a hostname (like your-name.homeip.net) which always points to your computer. They just have a lightweight app which runs on your computer and updates their IP address record when your IP changes - so your family would connect to your-name.homeip.net.
    http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndn...

Click Get Started, create an account, then add a new your-name.homeip.net hostname (anything you want) and click Use auto detected IP address. Click Support, then Download Now to get the updater. You will need to configure the updater with your DynDNS username and password.

Next you'll need an easy FTP server. I use FileZilla because it's nice and simple.
    http://filezilla-project.org/download.ph...

Download FileZilla and install it with the default options (it will run at Windows startup). After installation it will give you a Connect to Server box, click OK.

Go to Edit - Groups. You can create a single group to put all the users in instead of changing the settings for everyone.
    Click Add on the right and enter a name like "Friends."
    Click Shared Folders and add any folders on your PC that you want to share.
    If you want them to be able to add new files, enable "Write" and "Create Directories"
    Click OK.

Now let's set up the users.
    Go to Edit - Users.
    Create a new account by giving it a username and choosing the appropriate group.
    Click the checkbox next to Password and type a new password.
    You can give each user access to additional folders if necessary on the Shared folders page.
    Do this for all the people you want to access your files (or they can share an account if you want that).

If you have a router you will need to log in to the router and enable port forwarding to your computer on port 21 (Google "port forwarding" plus your router model name for instructions).

Now you're up and running and it's time for them to connect.
    Have them download the WinSCP Installation package.
    http://winscp.net/eng/download.php#downl...
    Once the installation is complete they can run WinSCP and type the host name your-name.homeip.net (whatever you chose with DynDNS), and their username and password.
    Change File protocol to FTP.
    Click Save.
    Click OK.
    Double-click the new connection and it should connect to your FTP server.

This is what I get:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. klr

klr New Member

Are you running this from a home connection? If so, some broadband ISPs block incoming FTP and HTTP connections. At least mine appears to do so.

3. nucklearknight

nucklearknight New Member

I think it's a problem with firewalls and ports. I'll just tinker till I get it.

4. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

if you want to connect to an ftp server behind a router from outside the router, you need to forward that port (default is 21) to the ftp server's local IP, and either disable or allow an exception on the ftp server computer for that port and maybe for that application

if both your ftp server and client are on the same network.. try connecting to it via its LAN IP. if that works, you can eliminate the server and/or client themselves as possible problems.

5. White Stormy

if you're trying to run the ftp server and client on the same computer.. you should try connecting to 127.0.0.1

6. White Stormy

you wanna verify that the server runs (most easily checked by connecting to LAN IP or localhost), then check that the router isn't causing by a problem (connect to the WAN IP directly), then check the dynamic DNS address

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Wait a minute, if you're running the DynDNS app on your server machine, isn't it just going to keep reporting the machine's LAN IP address? Shouldn't you be using the DynDNS function built into your router?

8. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

No. You obviously haven't used that software before

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Which is why I used a question mark. Good call.