MMA winner of huerta kenflo might not get title shot

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by The Ripper, Aug 8, 2008.

1. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

During a media conference call in May, UFC President Dana White said the winner of Saturday's lightweight fight between Kenny Florian and Roger Huerta would likely get the next title shot.

However, now just two days before that UFC 87 co-main event, White said that the title shot is far from guaranteed and that he has other plans for current champ B.J. Penn -- ones that involve neither Florian nor Huerta -- if Georges St. Pierre gets by Jon Fitch on Saturday.

The UFC's head honcho today spoke about those plans, as well as Huerta's recent criticism of the UFC's payscale, while a guest on TAGG Radio (www.taggradio.com), the official radio partner of MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

"There's no guarantees that Florian and Huerta are going to get a title shot after this fight," White said of Saturday's lightweight bout. "It definitely puts them in the mix ... but definitely, if St. Pierre beats Fitch, it's looking like it'll be GSP (vs.) B.J. Penn."

Penn, who won the vacant lightweight title in January and defended it against former belt-holder Sean Sherk in May, has been lobbying for a chance to move up a weight class to fight St. Pierre. The two fighters met once before in 2006 at UFC 58, where St. Pierre scored a split-decision victory on the "USA vs. Canada" card.

Penn wants the rematch, but it's unlikely to happen on his home turf. While the UFC has long anticipated its official Hawaiian debut, the state isn't ready to oversee the sport. That's why the rematch will likely take place in St. Pierre's neck of the woods.

"[MMA] got approved (in Hawaii), but the regulations aren't yet done," White said. "It wouldn't be done in time for this fight, so it would probably be in Montreal."

Earlier this week White said the organization was planning to return to Canada before the end of the year, and a November date is possible. However, if the fight doesn't take place in Canada, Sin City is on standby.

The UFC has already begun preparations for a Dec. 27 event that will take place in Las Vegas at either the Mandalay Bay Events Center or the MGM Grand Garden Arena. The UFC traditionally loads its year-end cards with top talent. UFC interim heavyweight champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and former champ Frank Mir, who serve as coaches on the upcoming eighth season of "The Ultimate Fighter," are expected to fight at the event, and a Penn vs. St. Pierre II would only further bolster the card.

During today's TAGG Radio interview, White was also asked about Huerta's recent comments in Fight! magazine. In the controversial piece, Huerta said that he quit doing the UFC's public-relations tours because he missed training time and was only given a $50-per-day allowance.

"Boohoo," White said. "Guys have been doing it the eight years we've been running the company. Oscar De La Hoya weighs in on Friday, then jumps on a plane to California and does Jay Leno and all these other talk shows because that's how you build your name up and become famous, and that's how you make your money. You know what else we have? We have guys in the UFC bitching that guys like Roger Huerta get all the PR and that they don't get any."

Huerta also complained about the compensation he and some other fighters receive.

"Somebody asked me yesterday in an interview, 'Roger Huerta said he's having contract problems.' He's not having contract problems," White said. "He's got two more fights left on his contract. If he beats Kenny Florian, it obviously puts him in a real nice position, then he can re-negotiate a new contract.

"Some of these guys start saying stupid stuff like Roger. I don't get what he's talking about. You signed a contract. You've got two fights left on it. You've got a tough fight with Kenny Florian. You win it? We'll talk."

Source:http://mmajunkie.com/news/5006/dana-...ger-huerta.mma

2. roose

roose Guest

Not surprising, considering Florian just had a shot and Huerta has talked himself out of one.

If BJ does get to fight GSP, he should have to weigh in at 155.

Guys like Alves and Koscheck are actually winning fights at 170 and to see them get bumped discredits the sport.

3. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

I'll rather see BJ fight GSP/Fitch then Flo/Huerta anyways.

4. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

yea id like to see it too but iwant to see more 155 bj

5. Kozzy McKoz

Kozzy McKoz OT Supporter

Christ can we get a string a legit title defenses by some champions before we try all this up and down wing wang bullshit?

6. MyLittleAirport

Why? Just so we can BJ Penn win? Waste of time, he's not younger anytime soon, I'll rather see him make a legacy fighting champs of all weight classes instead of fighting people he can already beat in one weight class.

7. ITR06

ITR06 OT Supporter

Shit is annoying if 1 person holds 2 belts then we see less title fights. Pick a weight class and stick to it. Fighters should give up the belt if they feel they have cleaned out the weight class. BJ has defended the belt once, i guess he feels he is on borrowed time before he loses it and wants to move away from the division.

8. acidix

acidix Ua mau, ke ea o ka `aina, i ka pono

he's only saying that in case Huerta wins. Cuz Huerta might not sign another contract w/ the UFC, and he won't be their posterboy. If Florian wins, he'll get the shot, BJ will beat him, then BJ will fight GSP regardless of what happens.

9. MyLittleAirport

No it's not annoying, BJ can do whatever the fuck he wants and if that means he has to fight one of the best fighters in the UFC WW class, then so be it.

I could care less about title fights and defending your weight class when it gets in the way of great match ups. I just want to see great matchups and THIS is a great matchup!

10. ITR06

ITR06 OT Supporter

He already lost to GSP once i don't feel like watching it again.

11. MyLittleAirport

:coolugh:

12. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

I'd rather see them get BJ in front of serious 155 talent for the next year and dominate.

13. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

14. Ghost of Swayze

Ghost of Swayze Ofcourse you mad

i can care less about weight classes...i just want to see the best fighters agree on a weight and fight.

15. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

huerta = dumb fuck he arlovski/tito/randy'd himself talking publicly about contract shit.

16. teep

teep New Member

not surprising. the division is stacked. there are guys like frankie edgar, tyson griffin (if he can get past sherk even though i think he can't) that could also be considered to be in title contention.

17. negative zero

negative zero New Member

18. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

He wont beat GSP. And this time he will get stopped

19. Sylva

Sylva New Member

Did you actually watch that fight? Saying BJ lost that fight is :bowrofl:

also

Are you guys actually bitching about seeing the best of the best fight each other?

:rofl:

You faggots always manage to come up with a way to fail.

20. ITR06

ITR06 OT Supporter

seen it about 3x :wiggle:

21. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

True fucking story.

A motivated, killer BJ Penn versus the best fighter in the world in GSP and these faggots whine and say "I don't want to see it again"...

LOL

22. Sammo

Sammo New Member

BJ lost his first fight with GSP because it's a 10-9 rule system and BJ didn't do anything the last two rounds

23. ITR06

ITR06 OT Supporter

:mb:

24. Sammo

Sammo New Member

I want to see Penn/GSP 2 but shouldn't BJ defend his LW title at least once more to hype it, am i rite?

25. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

He's successfully defended his title more times than GSP has.

Shut the fuck up.