WindowsSecurity virus?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by nathanb, Jan 1, 2007.

1. nathanb

nathanb New Member

A few days ago I was looking for a freeware program on the internet, and I must have accidentally downloaded a bad piece of software, because now I have pop-ups showing up every five minutes.

I've tried about 6 different anti-virus/adware/spyware scanners, and none of them has picked it up as of yet. I even scanned the package before installing it in the first place, but to no avail, obviously.

The "program" disguises itself as WindowsSecurity.exe, and it must be constatly de-activating and re-activating itself, because when I look at my list of processes, it keeps disappearing and re-appearing.

I've done a search on the internet, and the only thing it came up with was a topic on a German discussion forum, and some Chinese sites. Has anyone been infected with the same thing and been able to get rid of it? This is really pissing me off :wtc:

2. Doneranator

Doneranator New Member

I had one like that before, the only way I could get rid of it was a total format and reinstall. There hopefully is another way, but thats the way i fixed it.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

This won't help you now, but if you download a lot of garbage off the internet you should buy a program called Roxio GoBack. It replaces System Restore and it does a much more thorough job, to the point that it can reverse EVERY SINGLE CHANGE made to your hard drive -- including viruses. It can be used without having to load Windows first, which is a huge bonus if you've ever run into a problem where your computer can't load Windows anymore.

I have several workstations at work that get beaten on every single day, and I've seen blue-screens on each of them while trying to load Windows at one point or another -- multiple times, for a couple of the heaviest-used workstations. GoBack has saved me from having to waste hours repairing and reinstalling.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2007
  4. nathanb

nathanb New Member

Thanks for the tip deusex :)

I managed to get rid of it this way:

1. In msconfig, disable the WindowsSecurityUpdate Startup procedure
    2. Boot Windows in safe mode
    3. Delete C:\Windows\WindowsSecurityUpdate.exe
    4. Delete any registry entries pertaining to WindowsSecurity
    5. Re-boot in normal mode

Disclaimer: Obviously I am not going to take responsibility for it if you mess up your own computer trying to do it this way.