Windows XP won't boot

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by sorryforya, Apr 27, 2009.

1. sorryforya

sorryforya New Member

I installed a copy of Windows 7 on a partition and decided to delete the partition. After I did that, my Windows XP won't boot properly anymore. When it gets to the boot screen, the blue bar scrolls normally for about a second then lags like crazy. Its been 5+ minutes and my computer still hasn't booted. I can't even boot in safe mode. I tried the Windows XP repair and recovery but none of those worked. Please help.

2. Fase

Fase Your Face, In A Pickle Jar.

Sounds like a format might be the easiest/fastest method.

3. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

I'm guessing your boot loader got fucked/deleted. Not sure if there is a way to fix that if the Windows repair isn't working without just reformating/reinstalling. Wait for others to chime in before doing anything destructive though.

If you do end up wiping it and starting over, get a linux live cd and copy any data you may want (browser fav's, etc)...

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

You should be able to boot off a Windows XP CD and go to the recovery console.

From there I believe you can run the fixboot command to check and fix your MBR.

5. sorryforya

sorryforya New Member

Thanks for the tips. I remembered I had an extra 5 gig of unpartitioned space so I decided to just reinstall XP on there to transfer all my data over. This is the 2nd time I tried to have a dual operating system and having my computer crashing. Is there a certain way to do it? I just put the other operationg system on a different partition.

6. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I only tried to dual boot once or twice, but depending on what OS's you want to boot, you have to install them in a certain order. I think your MBR was messed up from deleting the partition.

7. sorryforya

sorryforya New Member

So I should really do a uninstall or something the next time I want to get rid of the other OS. You're probably right. I was able to switch off from XP to Windows 7 without any problems. It started giving me problems after I deleted the partition. DOH! Thanks for the tips.

8. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

yeah, mbr is fucked up
    learn virtualization
    i'm using vmware (vista as the host OS, xp/windows 7/ubuntu as guests)
    much easier than multi boot

9. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

You have to fix the master boot record depending on where it installed the OS boot loader. vista is fixboot xp its just fdsik /mbr

10. sorryforya

sorryforya New Member

I just reformatted my computer and was installing the drivers from my driver cd. But after it reboots, it starts doing the same thing again. It comes to the XP boot screen but the bar moves slow and takes forever to load.

11. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

when you formatted did you delete the entire partition and create new then format as well?

12. sorryforya

sorryforya New Member

Yes. I don't have my C drive partitioned at all so I deleted the whole partition and reformatted. It seems when I'm installing the ethernet driver, that's when things starts going haywire. But I uninstalled the driver, and it booted it normal. But then XP was lagging so much, I couldn't do anything. I can now boot into safemode after reformatting but I still can't figure out whats making the boot lag so much.

13. sorryforya

sorryforya New Member

After formatting about 8 times, I came to the conclusion that its my ethernet driver that messes things up. I tried installing different drivers at different times and all times, they installed fine. All the time I tried to install the ethernet driver, it freezes my computer and I can't boot it up again. I tried getting the driver from the motherboars website and it does the same thing.

14. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

If its ethernet thats causing the problems then might as well write that off and be done with it. You can pick up external cards fairly cheap

15. sorryforya

sorryforya New Member

I bought a D-Link ethernet card today. Having it shipped to me so hopefully it will solve the problem. I reinstalled Windows 7 since for some reason, the ethernet driver works fine on there. I don't know how or why but I'm wondering when I installed the ethernet driver on Windows 7 the first time around, it messed it up. Is that possible? I used the same driver I used for Windows XP.