windows xp -> windows 7 upgrade?

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by s34s0ns, Oct 24, 2009.

1. s34s0ns

s34s0ns OT Supporter

I don't think xp can directly upgrade to 7, so will the 'upgrade' version of 7 still work from xp even though you need to do a clean install?

anyone know? or am i totally off base?

2. pbjunkie

pbjunkie New Member

Yes it will work, just do custom install while installing 7.

3. FunkyMunniez

FunkyMunniez Active Member

The disc I have just says that you need a prior licensed copy of Windows. Windows 7 is built off of XP's backbone...I don't know why you wouldn't be able to upgrade directly. Just make sure you have the right copy (32 bit vs 64 bit)

4. CarbonSeven

CarbonSeven Active Member

Can not install coming from xp only vista. There's a trick everyone does for vista upgrade disc as well now win 7 upgrade disc. Back up data and reformat HD, Choose "custom" option(the other is upgrade), and do not input serial number and press no to check for updates. Install win7. Let it completely install. After install is complete with everything and you can now boot up to Windows 7 desktop reboot computer and boot from cd again. this time choose the upgrade option and enter serial number this time. (i chose to check for updates later) let it install. Windows 7 will now install and it see you had win7 as a previous version. When done you will now have a fresh copy of win 7 on your computer ready to activate online.

This eliminates any reason to purchase the "full" versions of either vista or win7.

5. s34s0ns

s34s0ns OT Supporter

dude awesome thank you.

do i need to enter my xp code to prove that it was valid? i have a valid copy... just curious because i doubt i still have my code.

6. CarbonSeven

CarbonSeven Active Member

Nope :)