Windows Xp take 7 Minutes to boot.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by wax, Dec 23, 2003.

1. wax

wax Guest

System background.. My fiance's computer has an issue with the onboard ide controller. Whenever you use the cdrw everything gets sluggish. (CDRW is good) So i bought a Koutech PIR133 RAID card to solve the problem.. I disabled the onboard ide buses and moved the HDD and CDRW to the ide raid card. Windows xp pro installs fine. But after you install service pack 1 it takes 7 minutes to boot.

Here is an email i have sent to Koutech's tech support..

Any ideas? I pulled half my hair out last night trying to fix it I looked on google and alot of people are having the same issue with promise raid cards.

Thanks,

chris

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Not sure about the problem, but I thought a RAID card was for hard drives. Maybe having the CD-ROM on one of RAID channels could be a problem? Good luck. Let us know if you figure it out.

CM.

3. wax

wax Guest

That shouldnt affect it. As i installed windows xp from that cd rom and everything worked good until i installed service pack 1. :( If i uninstall service pack 1 it goes back to booting normal again.

4. 01000101

01000101 New Member

There might be an issue between the drivers for the raid card and something in sp1. do you have the newest drivers for the raid card? have you checked microsoft for a specific fix?

5. wax

wax Guest

Yeah i got the newest drivers. I searched all over technet and didnt find anything.. Its definitly something in service pack 1 :(

6. deemistro

deemistro Guest

i've had problems with SP1 on my system too.. prior to the SP1 install, my games were running top notch. then one day i decided to install SP1 and afterwards, 3 outta 5 games had a glitch in 'em where about every five seconds there would be a delay in game-play. that bugged the hell out of me so i un-installed SP1 but before doing so, windows prompted me saying that some applications may not run properly afterwards and it referenced my games.. sure enough, with SP1 off my system, those games still ran like crap. i ended up doing a clean install of windows again minus SP1. it just added bugs instead of fixing 'em, so i say the heck with SP1.. just dl the critical updates from microsoft and you should be okay.