Windows XP Tablet on...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by KungFool7, Jul 18, 2007.

1. KungFool7

KungFool7 keep driving—it's getting earlier

Had someone bring in a Fujitsu Lifebook P series "laptop" that has no operating system.

She said "...the guy that had it before erased the windows when we bought it".

Windows sticker on the bottom is for WinXP tablet edition.

It has no CD/DVD drive. It's got a slot for an sdcard, 2 USBs and an empty expansion slot on the opposite side.

The hard drive won't doesn't fit any of the adapters we have, so I can't put it in another machine and install that way.

Is using a USB external CD drive my only/best option?

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

My mother has one of those. They're nice little machines.

Send it to Fujitsu for reimaging and charge her $50 for the convenience. Try to talk her into springing for the 1GB micro-DIMM while you're at it; they REALLY benefit from anything that keeps the computer from using the pagefile.

To that end, once you get it up and running, go into the Properties window for My Computer, go to the Advanced tab, click on the Performance Options button, and set the memory manager to favor the System Cache instead of Programs. (Leave the Services vs. Programs setting alone.) That will tell Windows to lean on the RAM instead of throwing crap into the pagefile all the time.

3. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

I've used an external USB and a ghost image on the couple we have floating around here . . .

I didn't know about that System Cahce setting, that's a good tip for all notebooks I woud assume or just ones low on ram or what??

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I use the System Cache setting on all my machines because that's how I roll, but depending on the machine and its user, the setting doesn't always do anything useful. Basically, instead of the machine bogging down progressively as the RAM and pagefile get more full, the machine bogs down all at once when the RAM is almost completely full. (That's exaggerated a bit, but that's still the overall effect.) As such, in the case of a machine with a current CPU but a slow hard drive like the Fujitsu P1610, giving the System Cache preferential treatment means the slow hard drive doesn't get in the way as much because the pagefile is used less.

5. KungFool7

KungFool7 keep driving—it's getting earlier

That thing ended up having a heap of problems.

He's sending it to the manu.