Windows XP Questions: Could you guys answer a couple questions?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mycophiles, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

My mother got a computer through a grant last year and the teacher that was using it quit and took the computer with her. No one knew where the comuter went until recently. The computer was recovered but there are several things going on on bootup. (I"ll look at the start menu shortly).

I'd like to reinstall XP and the cd key is on the back of the computer. Do I need to call MS and have them send me out an xp cd? What does this cost?

In the meantime can I repair xp using my xp cd?

2. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

You wouldn't talk to MS about getting a restore/Windows disc, call the manufacturer of the computer. It should be around $15 dollars (at least that how much mine was quite a while ago).

Is it a desktop of laptop? If its a desktop you could just use any Windows cd for the same version of Windows that was came on the machine(ie: Home, Pro.. SP1, SP2, SP2c) and then get the drivers from the manufacturer of the different components' websites. If its a laptop, better off just using manufacturer disc.

3. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

It's a laptop.

So I talk to the manufacturer of the computer? ok

4. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Depending on the manufacturer, they are most likely going to ask that you pay for the CD, or use their website to download the drivers. Unless you're willing to pay for a driver CD, it doesn't matter that you had a laptop or desktop.

Besides, it isn't hard to install drivers on a clean XP install, laptop or not.

5. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

See.. that's bullshit. If the computer came with an xp license then the OS should be able to reinstalled FOR FREE! I can understand paying 10$ or something for a copy of the xp build from MS but paying full price for a 'restore' cd from the manufacturer is a ripoff.

I have no qualms against downloading a copy of the running xp build and reinstalling with that because I have a product key. ( *waits for p7-faggot to come running )...

Thanks for the reply. Not yelling at you. Just general ranting.

6. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

usually, the manufacturer includes an image of the cd/restore disk in the hdd.
    (e.g. I386 directory or in a hidden partition).

this save the manufacturer, and you, some money.
    it's just cost-efficient doing it this way.

another reason why they don't include a distribution disk is that its contents/version varies and can change anytime.

remember, distribution disks are not the same as those Windows retail setup disks.
    distribution disks has the OS, drivers, custom setup files, and other garbage they put in.
    that's why they ask for your SKU, machine model, etc because it needs to be machine specific.

7. Wolf Demon

Wolf Demon HURF DURF OT Supporter

You could get some type of image of an XP disk and there are utilities to change the CD that is installed

8. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

If you've got your serial, then you can get the disc through whatever means you need to.
    Borrow one, download one, whatever.
    If it's new enough to have XP on it, then it's new enough that drivers won't be a problem to find.
    But you do need to make sure you get the same version of XP.