Windows XP pro x64

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by G-n-P, May 6, 2005.

1. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

So I downloaded it, did a clean install, and boot up with it ready to feel the blazing speed and awesome power of 64 whole bits of word size......................or not

Turns out my mobo, which ironically supports only 64 bit chips, came with drivers that were written with a dos installer. IE they wont work with x64. So after about 5 hours of jacking with it.....I am back to 32 bit splendor with plenty of driver support.

For those of you that are running xp pro x64 is it giving you trouble? Is the performance noticable say for instance when you are rendering video. I am about to give the 64 bit gentoo a shot (if I don't get any hardware support then I might as well try an os that is worth a shit). Anyone have an AMD 64 based system and had luck with a 64 bit os yet?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

32 bit drivers do not work with 64 bit windows.. err... duh?

You must download the 64-bit drivers.

As for performance increases, they are ZERO unless the app you are running was written to take advantage of the platform. If it isn't, then you won't see squat in terms of performance increases.

3. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

wow yeah I guess I should be more specific, my mainboard is a cheap pos and it doesn't have 64 bit drivers released, I found some for the chipset, but I couldnt find any that would work with the onboard lan.......overall it was way more hassle than it's worth. If I have to hunt down drivers left and right I might as well run a linux based os.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

what is the mobo?

5. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

biostar nf4st

it was the cheapest one that had the nvidia nforce4 chipset....probably my best purchase ever

6. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Sooo, 64-bit chips have been out for, what, a year now? And Windows doesn't support them properly yet, eh? Hmmmmmmm.....

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

there's no need to... 64-bit apps arn't readily available yet.

8. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

That could be largely due to the fact that there isn't 64-bit Windows yet....

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

they've had a beta for almost a year... Plenty of time for app developers to get going.

10. Goonigoogoo

Goonigoogoo Active Member

To my knowledge 64-bit Windows was released in Japan a few weeks ago.

11. diranged

diranged New Member

:rolleyes:

Thats absolutely UNTRUE. Simply by moving to a 64Bit OS (and using 64bit Applications) you get access to 16 registers on the CPU instead of the standard 8. These extra registers cut in-half the amount of times you have to go to L2 cache to get information. This is a BIG deal and can account for as much as a 15% performance improvement without ANY code changes.

(That being said, SOME 32bit programs will always perform better in 32bit mode. This is because 64bit addresses inherently take longer to access and take up more memory, which CAN slow some programs down when they are not optimized for a 64bit architecture. Though, the programs that this happens to are likely not to be performance-oriented anyways...)

12. diranged

diranged New Member

64bit windows went public 2 weeks ago -- and has been RTM'd for well over a month. The beta has been out for 2 years. What the fuck are you talking about?