Windows XP Pro not recognizing my authentic CD KEY after multiple installations

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Soren, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

I have reformatted my computer multiple times and have reinstalled windows XP pro on the same computer multiple times without incident. However, now it is telling me that I used my cd key too many times and it is no longer operational. This is ridiculous. I paid for my authentic OEM copy of Windows and they are saying I can't use my CD key. I tried calling the CD Key phone support and the number doesn't seem to work. I don't know where else to go since their support only works with retail versions of Windows. How can I get my CD key to work? I need Windows Updates and DirectX 9.0!

2. Schproda

Schproda New Member

You can't install it multiple times. Pick up the phone and spend 5 minutes to get an activation key like I did a few times.

3. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

I tried calling them on their toll-free number and it said phone number is unavailable. Is there anything I have to dial besides the number like 1 first?

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Is it the number from their website? Always go to the website for the latest phone numbers.

5. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Which number are you calling? (888) 352-7140?

6. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

The only phone number I can get regarding tech support costs me $45.00CAD to use.

I'm in BC, Canada BTW.

7. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Call the support number and tell them you need to reactivate windows. They should not try to charge you. If they do hang up and call back and get another operator.

Canadian numbers: http://support.microsoft.com/gp/contactcanada

8. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

All right, I got a hold of a customer rep and basically he told me that because I bought an OEM version of WinXP Pro I have to call the OEM manufacturer from where I purchased it. Unfortunately, it has been about 5 years since I bought it and I have no clue from where I purchased it. Are there any options left open to me or am I going to have to go pirate a corporate edition?

edit: I just called the activation center on my cellphone and it worked (weird) so I got a new confirmation ID number that I can use. Is there anyway I can use this confirmation ID number multiple times and if so, how do I find it? I forgot to write it down when the guy told me it :(

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  9. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

No, it only works once then your key should work for another X number of online activations. Just call again next time.

And remember, if you don't get the answer you want just keep calling back.

10. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

Thank you very much :)

11. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

My kids do the same thing... If dad doesn't give the answer they want, they go ask Mom.

Anyway... the whole deal is a PITA. I have clients that don't understand why I need to call Microsoft to get an activation when "the number is right there on the computer". At least it worked out for you this time.

12. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

yea i had to call about a xp cd that came with my dell. i was putting it on my mac and was prompted to call.

i had to go thru all these 6 digit numbers i think with the operator. it took awhile. i just said i bought it at a retail store and i needed to do a reinstall and she just gave me the code. just be persistent.

13. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Imaging FTMFW

14. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

My OEM key "expired" too. I just called their activation department and they gave me an activation code. You don't have to say anything about OEM, just say you have a key that you paid for that isn't working and that all you've done is formatted.

Maybe Canada is for the lose with activation.

15. Apothis

Apothis New Member

This is why both Activation, and Microsoft in general, are homogay as hell. If you're gonna use XP, at least use a pirated corp edition. No activate ftw.

16. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Gotta love not being able to download patches to make your software work right. :ugh:

17. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I'm not saying I take part in pirating or agree with the above, but if you know where to look, you can easily get around that problem.

18. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Actually, except for maybe the service packs, I believe all the patches can be manually downloaded from MS and installed on unverified machines.

The whole activation thing is a pain for users and the sad part is that it's not even designed to stop end-user piracy. The whole reason behind it was to catch OEMs that were pirating windows on PC's they sell.