Windows XP pro crashing - Tough To fix issue

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cassetti, Mar 19, 2005.

1. cassetti

cassetti New Member

$5.00 to the person who's tip fixes my computer - not alot but all i can afford right now (plus something else that i can offer after my computer gets back up and running full time - more details about that later)

First off - i hate asking for help - i build computers all day long - i've worked with computers for 14 years - since my parents got an old packerd-bell desktop

I know quite a bit about computers - but this one has me stumped.

I built a computer back in 1999 using some pretty decent parts - Asus KT7a motherboard (one of the best boards at the time), AMD thunderbird 700mhz processor, nvidia geforce2 32 meg video card, 256 megs of sdram (pc133), 40 gig WD harddrive. - ran windows 98 on it.

Next year upgraded to windows ME - ran it fine - went though some maintenance and whatnot here and there - you know - windows crashes - harddrive corrupts - reinstall windows - etc.

Now its running the same motherboard, with 384 megs of ram, Windows XP professional, AMD 1400 processor, 80 gig WD harddrive and a 160 gig WD harddrive, with a plextor 712a DVD burner.

Its a rockin box for doing server duty storing stuff - being a print server - you know - i use it for my workhorse - while my laptop is my everyday laptop (college kid - laptop is good to have)

Computer worked fine with windows XP for a long time - then one day a few weeks ago - computer got a big overhaul - purchased another case that looked a little better - window and led bar on the front you know - just a simple case.

I noticed that my heatsink was VERY dusty - and very poor air circulation - so i removed and cleaned it - after that - i had issues.

First after building computer - the computer would reboot itself randomly while running windows xp - after a LOT of troubleshooting - i finally spent $20 on a new heatsink - my cpu temperature readout went from 78 degree's celcius with old heatsink - down average of 50 degrees celcius!!

That fixed that issue with the overheating.

Now i am having another issue - it seems as though windows still occasionally crashes - and it is not linked to the overheating - because i have verified the stability of that - and the symptom is not the same at all.

I can leave my windows xp running overnight - and ocme back to find it still on - other times i can come back 4 hours later and the dumb computer has rebooted itself!

I have updated all the drivers - and windows reports that it is crashing because of a device driver - one time it said its because of a graphics driver - but i heard that the graphics driver report is often a false diagnosis

I could use ANY help you guys can give me - and like i said - suggestions that fix the problem will be rewarded - since i can NOT figure it out at all

2. Conrad10781

Conrad10781 New Member

I own a computer store in upstate New York, and one time we came across something similar that also mixed in the cd-rom opening for no reason once in a while... we reformatted etc, thinking it was a virus. after not letting it connect to the net, same result.. we also checked for heating, and no help. What it turned out was one of the new fans we put in the system had a short, and was reaking havic.. after removal of it no problems what so ever... So my advice/suggestion would be to try and unplug all the fancy things with the new case. lights fans etc. and see if it happens

3. Conrad10781

Conrad10781 New Member

would have been my 1st reply but beat me to it:)

4. cassetti

cassetti New Member

Question - in terms of thermal paste - what about the paste that comes on the heatsinks?

i bought an antec CPU cooler - for up to AMD XP3200+

I was gona buy some thermal grease - but $20 for one tube from bestbuys when i was there just was a freeken waist - i remember when they sold thermal grease for $5 for 5 packets

5. cassetti

cassetti New Member

why is it that i can be compressing a video and acting as an automated server for hosting legal local bands mp3's and it hold its own just fine

but today i try to do a full system scan with adware - my comp crashes halfway through - and at the bios setup screen under pc health - it reads cpu of 44*C/ 113*F

thats waycooler than 160 *F that it was hitting before the new heatsink....

6. cassetti

cassetti New Member

well i found a shop that has it 2 miles from my house - for $5 - so i'm gona snag me some if its better than the junkfrom radioshack that i have laying around (no i didn't use that stuff this time - i did previously as a test that didn't work)

be back in a few and i'll let ya guys know the outcome

7. DarqueGT

DarqueGT New Member

i agree.

8. mace

mace i don't read

9. cassetti

cassetti New Member

i checked my memory using a dos based burn in test - i ran the program from 5 hours - the computer did not crash while burning in the ram - and it generated no errors.

I suspect the heat previously did fuck it up. However - is there any way to say run the processor at a slower speed and increase stability?

like i said - this computer is not my main computer - i just need it to be stable.

(the thermal grease did not work)

If it turns out that there is a fix - whoever finds it to give me stability will get a pm from me.

10. Up All Night

Up All Night I might sleep all day

I'm thinking it could be something with your PSU... what PSU are you using and what do your voltages look like under load?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
  11. badjasper

badjasper Guest

Definitly check the power supply. If you've added lots of bells and whistles then you should have gotten a better PS. Since you are running an AMD i wouldn't go any lower than a 450 Watt. I'm running a 3000+ with a 256Meg Gforce4 with a bunch of the kiddie lights and stuff but I also have 6 case fans,cpu fan,vid fan...the list goes on. My CPU runs at a cool 86f with all the fans but it does eat up juice and AMD's are notorious for power consumption and heat generation.

12. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

Sounds like what my 2GHz Penitum used to do when it was overclocked. It ran rock steady for 6 months with a high overclock. Then in the middle of nowhere the computer would just reboot and the hard drive would be corrupted.

I bought a new hard drive suspecting it to be the problem. It was fine for a while then started happening again so I backed the overclock down and it went away for a month then came back. Again I had to back down the overclock. I think with age they become more sensitive to heat.

13. cassetti

cassetti New Member

actually the psu is indeed a junk one - however - i am actually running less juice than i was.

i work with alot of electronics - and know the problems caused by lacking power.

though this is a junk system - mobo, 256 and a 128mb chips, 32meg geforce2, dvd burner, 1 nic card, and sound card oh - and 2 harddrives - not the biggest system around - 2 led's and 2 extra fans.

when i was upgrading - i did notice that the heatsink had a matt of dust below the fan - so i removed and cleaned - removing the fan musta done something - and the fan started to fail - that combined with removing the heatsink and not putting on fresh thermal grease definately did it - i am oging to attempt to stabelize the cpu and see if that works before i turn to the psu

14. Up All Night

Up All Night I might sleep all day

I would say unplug your extra hdd, 1 stick of ram, the leds, and the dvd burner and stress test it

15. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Just to echo other posts. Sounds like either RAM or power supply. Can you borrow RAM/ps from another pc just to test it out?

16. cassetti

cassetti New Member

Still further testing needed - i'll keep you guys posted - it seems very unlikely that the ram or psu could cause an issue - but i intend to test them after fully confirming that my cpu is not the root of the issue.

i mean to run a cpu to the point at which the thermal grease gets cooked to a layer of caked dust seems like that could have done my cpu in - i'm gonig to further check out underclocking and then going from there.

17. Balddong

Balddong New Member

i had a problem like yours....
    computer started to crash after i upgraded the video card and before it was running just fine with windows xp.. other people with my problem as start experiencing the same problems after changing the hard drive or other parts......

anyway your problem could be the same as mine... might wanna look into it.. here is my thread..
    http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=1687152

to sum it up, the meats and potato with my problem is the bios is too old and is incompatible with the newer OS hence all the accessing address errors...

have you tried updating your bios?

my motherboard was an abit kt7-raid got it back in the late 90's...

Last edited: Mar 25, 2005
  18. quickone

quickone New Member

a loose transister? maybe you bumped somethign on the mobo and cause it to be loose...look around

19. Balddong

Balddong New Member

if your bios is updated try disabling the acpi option under control panel > system > hardware > computer....

but i bet all you need is to flash your bios....

20. turbo91

turbo91 New Member

Turn on full memory dumps. Next time the computer crashes, load the memory dump into WinDbg (available from the DDK) and see which driver crashed. If it's a problem like overheating, memory, etc, the crashes should be somewhat random (i.e., a different driver each time).