Windows xp license

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Robb, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Robb

Robb Guest

I just built a comp. i used the xp cd that came w/ my old emachines comp to reinstall windows, now it says i have to register, fine. So i go to register, put the serial number from my emachines comp in and it says it isnt valid. It gives me the option to call the customer service number, it also gives me a csr id number, the csr system is all automated and i tell them the number and it says the id isnt valid, what the hell do i do now, thanks

2. Juvenall

Juvenall What Would Juvie Do?

If it were me, and I knew I owned a legit copy, I'd find "other ways" to deal with it. However, I know many people who have simply called Microsoft and explained their problem and were given a replacement key. That really may be your best bet.

3. Robb

Robb Guest

yeah, i had to look up a new support number on thier website, the nice iranian gave me a new key that worked, yay

4. Juvenall

Juvenall What Would Juvie Do?

w00t! Glad that worked out for ya :)

5. russd10089

russd10089 New Member

nevermind, you already did what i was gonna suggest.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Just so you know, you cannot legally transfer an OEM copy of Windows from one machine to the other -- even if you erase it from the original machine. That's in the conditions of the OEM license.

7. Goonigoogoo

Goonigoogoo Active Member

We're you trying to register or Activate? These are 2 different things.

8. Robb

Robb Guest

register, i had xp on one hdd, built a new computer, used the same hdd, i lost xp after booting up, so i put the xp copy from my old comp on there, after installing it wanted me to register, so i used the serial from the back of my old comp, it didnt take that number