Windows XP Explorer.exe crashing?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by naerok, Jan 26, 2005.

1. naerok

naerok Guest

Okay, so I was on a friends computer. System: Windows XP Home Edition. I just opened up kazaa to download something, but all of a sudden I get all these messages about spyware (he has spysweeper). It asks me to do this n that but I click on "no" cause I don't want to delete anything, just in case. Right after that happened his explorer crashed. Usually when explorer.exe crashses for me, nothing really happens. But for my friends computer, his task bar disappeared completely. When he rebooted, right when he log'd on, it would give this error message saying windows explorer crashed. When we click "okay," the screen would just be blank. I'm no computer illeriate and I know for sure I didn't do anything wrong, so what could be some factors why it would do that. We tried the "last known working cofiguration" but it would still do the same thing. When we put in the windows xp cd to repair, it was even worse, it wouldn't even boot up to windows at all. Has this happened to anyone at all? I feel terrible that this happened this his computer and the fact that I was the last person on it, I feel somewhat responsible. Keep in mind that all I did was opened up kazaa. The rest just happened on its own. Sorry for the long post. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  2. C_Blyth

C_Blyth Guest

well Kazaa isn't good news is a gateway for spyware and virus' and all sorts of stuff that is not good for the PC. if you boot the machine up into safe mode, does this work. if so then do a virus scan.

Have you tried to re-install the windows onto the machine???