Windows XP and new Hard drive

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Lee, Dec 9, 2003.

1. Lee

Lee New Member

I have an orignal OEM copy of Windows XP. Whenever I've had to reinstall XP I've registered my copy with MS and went on my way. However, do to a hard drive failure I had to put a diff drive in, reinstall windows.. and now I'm told my key has been registered to many times!

What the hell? We can't switch the HD that XP was registered on??

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Speak to the manager. Go up the ladder.

Or pirate their shit. I hate this stupid registration thing for this very reason. I have a few programs that are keyed on the Mobo, HD, and NIC card. Pisses me off - I've cracked legal copies of software to get rid of this stupid method of preventing piracy. Some of these companies are no longer around - so here's a key to software that you can install as many times as you like - or at least until we go under like 90% of all software companies

:mad:

3. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

:werd:

all of this BS only hurts the people who actually buy the software

4. Lee

Lee New Member

Yes I could use a pirated key, but.. I'd have to slip stream all the service pack updates into the install. And if any new SP updates became available, I would not be able to install them. Only registered working keys now can download SP's from the MS update site. I might just go back to Win2k. I can't really contact anyone cause my old job got like 100's of OEM XP cd's in. And I had a few of those, so I'd be afraid to contact MS as I'm not using it at my job and I no longer work there.

5. 5Gen_Prelude

Well then... it's not a legal copy then if you don't own the software is it?

6. Lee

Lee New Member

I do own it, I just didnt pay for it. Its a legal OEM copy is what I'm sayin, none of it is pirated. I took the plastic off, the cd sticker key.. the works.

7. 5Gen_Prelude

Look, if you own the software (gift, purchased... etc), then you have nothing to fear. If you just happen to have the piece of software, but the rights of the program were never legally transferred to you (ie you stole the software), then you don't legally own it. Doesn't matter whether you opened it, you essentially stole the CD, therefor it's not a legal OEM copy.

Don't get me wrong - I really don't give a rat's ass - just don't kid yourself about what you own is all ;)

8. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

:rofl:

He doesn't have a problem with stealing an actual CD, but he won't pirate the software :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: That's CLASSIC

9. FindersKeepers

FindersKeepers New Member

Do activation over the phone....

They'll ask you the reason for reactivating... you say Hard drive failure had to replace my drive...

they say... Ok here is your new confirmation number.

you say cool lets do it

Activation is a success.

10. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

Even if you stole the CD and key from work, or a store or whatever, Microsoft won't know. If you have had registered before under your name, it should be on their records (I believe). I may or may not have stolen a box copy of Norton Systemworks 2004 and installed and registered it with the CD-Key in the box and not had any problems.

11. 5Gen_Prelude

Reminds me of the guys on highway who will weave in and out of traffic, cutting people off, but refuse to use the HOV lane :rofl:

12. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

omg :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
    thats up there with the polymorphism post about the changing into a dog :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

13. Lee

Lee New Member

Ummm...

1.) I never said I stole the CD.
    2.) I never said I had a problem pirating it. I said with the pirated version you just can't install the SP's, that you need to slip stream them in, so obviosly I used a priated version for a long time prior to my copy from work.

I will however take the only advise given from this post and do it over the phone.

14. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

I've done it a million times at work, just call the 800 number it gives you, tell them you had a hard drive die and thell them to give you a new activation code. Takes less than 5 minutes.

15. adam

adam OG lurker #1

yep, done it before too.

btw, corp edition doesn't do key checking ;)