Windows XP 64 bit edition... Do you run it? Problems?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Guardfather, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Guardfather

Guardfather The Paradox

I heard there were some issues when it came out. I'm thinking of upgrading my PC, and I intend to run XP and Linux. No Vista. But I'd like to make the most out of the 64-bit CPU I'll be getting.

So I want to know if any of you have XP-64, and if any of you know of current problems with it.

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

This just came up recently here, and I asked the same thing you just did.

Everyone was saying that it's completely stable, and no problems with finding drivers at all.

:dunno:

3. Guardfather

Guardfather The Paradox

Awesome. Thanks. :)

edit:
    Are you sure the threads were about XP 64? Or Vista 64-bit edition? I searched for "64" on the 15 most recent pages in this forum, and found a couple threads about Vista64, but none about XP64.

4. Doc Brown

Yeah, I'm positive. I have the full retail XP set with the 64bit disc, and I've thought about using it more than a few times.
    But I had heard the same stuff about it some years ago, and I didn't know if those issues had ever been resolved.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The drivers for XP x64 are the same as for Vista x64, so it's a moot question.

I'm using WS2003 x64 on some servers at work, and I've had no trouble finding drivers for anything.

6. Guardfather

Guardfather The Paradox

Oh nice. That's kind of surprising to me.

7. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i've always wondered about xp64. i doubt i would get any gains because the only processor intensive thing i do is rip and burn dvds. i don't think any of the software is made for 64bit
    i transcode video on my macbook, which is 64bit

8. wabash9000

wabash9000 Active Member

the zune software is homosexual and doesn't work on it.

that was the only problem I ever really had with it.

9. Guardfather

Guardfather The Paradox

I find it very amusing that Microsoft would fail to make two of their current and complimentary products compatible.

10. deusexaethera

Fixed.

11. wabash9000

wabash9000 Active Member

yes sry I missed that. I only had the software to stream playlists to my 360.

12. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

Speaking of, my old computer ran XP Home and was getting memory access errors. According to Microsoft, it was an incompatibility issue with the software getting the error and Windows. The best thing is that the software getting the errors was "explorer.exe"

13. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

I have Vista 64 with no issues. Computer shipped that way. I'm sure XP 64 would run pretty good if I were to load it.

14. michelin man

michelin man IDB Construction

why would someone want to run a x64 OS?

/noob

15. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

yeah, why? the only reason to run a 64-bit OS is to access more memory. 64-bits does nothing for system stability or performance. the only thing it does is give you access to a 64-bit memory address space instead of a 32-bit memory address space. what are you running on a PC that you would need access to > 4Gb of memory for a single app? generally you would only need something like that for an enterprise level database system... and hell, most likely you'd want to use UNIX for it anyway. :big grin:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1857476,00.asp

16. deusexaethera

There are several reasons. One is the 64-bit memory space you mentioned. Other reasons include:

1. 64-bit systems can transfer data in chunks twice as big, effectively doubling the capacity of the front-side bus.

2. 64-bit floating-point variables have 4 billion times the precision of 32-bit floating-point variables, which makes anything using floating-point math much more accurate (e.g. audio and video recording, physics calculations, codecs, etc.)

3. The number of applications that take advantage of 64-bit hardware will only increase as time goes on, as did the number of 32-bit applications back when Win95 came out -- ten years later, you can't even get 16-bit apps anymore. (I remember when I got VB4.0, I suddenly had to choose whether I wanted to compile into 16-bit or 32-bit code; I never found a reason to compile to 16-bit, not even once.)

4. If you're dealing with servers, like I am, they'll be in operation for a long time, so there's an appeal to not having to reformat when you realize you need 64-bit. And if you're running virtual machines on those servers, like I am, you want to make the full capacity of the hardware available immediately so you don't have to rebuild the VM servers when you need to start setting up 64-bit VMs.

64-bit hardware is everywhere now; most likely, you all own it. Why use an outdated OS on it, when a 64-bit OS will run your old applications just as well as they ever ran, and when it means you won't have to reformat when 64-bit games start coming out?

17. Doc Brown

:cool:

You know, you young kids are alright.

Sometimes.

:bigthumb:

18. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

actually, my question was for the original poster. in a server environment there is justification (though, why the hell anyone wants to run 64-bit windows instead of just running UNIX is beyond me ;)). the original poster sound like he was running this on a PC though. there is absolutely no benefit to running a 64-bit version of Windows on a regular PC. actually, if you look at the article i posted, in almost every single benchmark the two OSes either performed almost identical or the 32-bit version of XP performed faster.

also, we're running all kinds of 64-bit OSes at my job and i haven't been impressed at all with Windows 64-bit on either Itanium2 or x64 though the Itanium2 shit is SOOO terrible for Windows.

19. Guardfather

Guardfather The Paradox

Well that was an awesome post.

20. Guardfather

Guardfather The Paradox

He pretty much answered it for me. As more apps take advantage of 64-bit, I want to be able to enjoy that benefit. Gaming, graphics editing, video editing, etc. And I'll enjoy having 4+ gigs of RAM for gaming/multitasking goodness. This 2.5 bullshit isn't gonna cut it for long.

21. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

lol, so he gave a few reasons that only make sense in an enterprise situation and you think any of it applies to your desktop PC? it is going to take a hell of a long time for 64-bit apps to pick up in the PC range. i can understand 64-bit SQL, but very little else and that certainly has no use on a desktop. then, benchmarks actually prove that none of any of this is of any use on a desktop.

oh, and by the by... in 32-bit windows you are not limited to 4Gb of memory for the system. each app is limited to 4Gb of virtual memory space, 2Gb is kernel memory and 2Gb is app memory. now, all of the apps share that 2Gb of kernel space which is your only real limit.

22. A Cow

A Cow OT Supporter

ive been running it for years now..

drivers? -> 99.95% of the drivers work ( only one so far... think it was the cannon printer driver.. w/e i just got a USB printer.. np after that )
    programs? -> 99.99% of programs work ( problem with shogo v_v and some windows programs.. like tweekui.. but there are patches for most of em )
    stablity? -> my computer runs smoother than most XP Pro computers..
    has it crashed? YES!!! ( when my harddrive decided to die )
    virtual memory? shitloads more
    any regrets? -> yes.. i wish i switched earler

23. OakleyTodd

OakleyTodd New Member

There is no support for iTunes on 64-bit right?

24. Guardfather

Guardfather The Paradox

I'm trying really hard to remember that this isn't the "Off-topic" forum here.

If that's what you got from my post, I suggest you go through and read it again from a less combative position.

As far as the fact that there aren't many 64-bit apps for PC use right now, keep in mind that the computer I'm posting from now has been in use for the past 5 years or so. I don't hop to a new computer very often. So it's not like I'm expecting an explosion of 64-bit apps in the next year or anything. Besides, why would I spend the same amount of money on XP 32-bit when that ensures further limitation? It's just stupid.

And yes, I am limited to under 4gb of effective RAM with XP 32-bit.

25. wabash9000

wabash9000 Active Member

there is now. When x64 first came out there wasn't.