Windows vs. All Others

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Sexual Vanilla, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

I've been a Windows user since my first PC, back in 1993. I've never really considered using any other OS, as Windows is what I was used to. Could anyone break down the OS's side by side, with advantages/disadvantages, or direct me to a site that does? I've long considered switching, but I'm scared of change. :noes:

2. Xyroquell

Xyroquell New Member

Why change?

You can install an OS as Linux in parallel. Just make sure you have some unpartitioned space on your disk (10 Gb will do in most cases) and you can install a secondary OS there.

Or, if you don't want to install or you cannot free some space try an live-cd. All mayor Linux-brands (Ubuntu, Redhat, OpenSuse, etc) have one which you can download for free. All you have to do to get the thing up and running is to put the disc in your CD-drive and reboot.

The only thing I want to ask you is give it some time to get used to it. As things will work different then you're used to.

3. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Download Ubuntu, burn it, boot it (from the CD). You can play around with it then, and use the 'install' program on the desktop if you want to install it to the hard drive. When installing, you're given choices about whether to wipe the drive completely, or resize the Windows partition etc... It's pretty straight-forward. If you keep Windows, you'll be able to chose whether to boot Windows or Ubuntu when you turn on the computer.

Don't you think it's worth trying?

4. Sexual Vanilla

Of course, that's why I'm asking for the adv/disadv of each. :cool:

5. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Ubuntu is awesome but all Linux distributions take a little getting used to. Linux is way different then Windows and most people don't want to take the time to learn a new OS. Most people when they try Linux just say....well fook...this doesn't work and it's not like Windows so it sux!!!!!111

The main reasons I'm becomming a Ubuntu fanboi are many, here are some:
    A) Their website has very helpful tutorials to get things working the way you want.
    B) The people in their forums are very helpful and friendly. They discourage RTFM and google-it-up posts.
    C) There are over 15,000 software programs available FOR FREE.
    D) The Synaptic Package Manager handles all the installation of software for you AND, most importantly, handles all the dependancies for you.
    E) Well....I could go on and on but one last thing I like about Ubuntu, it jsut works.

6. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

http://forums.offtopic.com/showpost.php?p=63108285&postcount=33

All that stuff (fecked if I'll rewrite it), and it has much better out-of-the-box security (or, it actually has out-of-the-box security!), and it's easier to setup for programming and that kinda thing...

And yes, the Ubuntu community at ubuntuforums.org absolutely rock.

7. Sexual Vanilla

Well it appears you guys are pushing for Ubuntu...so I'm going to give it a shot. Thanks for the input! :bigthumb:

8. Coottie

Heh...I resisted because ubuntu didn't recognize my Nvidia GeForce 3 right after install, something I was not too impressed with. I thought how good can a Linux distro be if it doesn't even recognize this old card??

Then someone here told me how to look for and install new video drivers and I've been using Ubuntu ever since. I'm blown away by how well it works and how friendly the community is. I've been able to do everything I wanted by using the WebSite. There are some AWESOME tutorials there.

If you get stuck, be sure to hollar cuz I'm sure someone knows the answer.

9. Xyroquell

Xyroquell New Member

Yeah drivers are always an issue on Linux. Nvidia did not release Gforce drivers nor did they provide any information on how the card works. So developers attempted to reverse-engineer the Nvidia drivers, but that can take a while.

Luckily there are drivers available for many kinds of hardware so you should be able to get your machine up and running, though there's always a risk that some hardware will not get recognised.

10. Coottie

Yep I got it up and running and I'm posting this from my Ubuntu install. It's funny cuz Ubuntu is running on my old AMD 1.4Ghz Athalon processor but I like it more then Windows on my 2.8Ghz Intel machine with Windows!

11. Schproda

Schproda New Member

Windoze has more third party applications, more spyware, malware, rootkits, viruses and all not to mention 15 years script kiddies trying to hack your PC because it's so vulnerable. Linux and Mac have less software but what they have is much more stable. If OS/2 never stopped being released I'd never stop using that.