WEB Windows VPS, will installing PHP affect developer building ASP.NET web application?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MikeTheVike1, Apr 2, 2009.

1. MikeTheVike1

MikeTheVike1 OT Supporter

So my company has a windows VPS that a developer is creating a web application on using ASP.NET. I tried to install a CMS the other day on the server, and it requires PHP. I found instructions for installing PHP on the server. Will this affect the work being done by the developer?

2. SmugZombie

SmugZombie OT Supporter

I honestly cant see why it would affect him - i have installed php on windows 2003 server a few times, and asp continues t owork fine - you may need to restart the server, and or, just stop iis and start it again.

3. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

If you don't know what you're doing, don't touch it.

4. MikeTheVike1

MikeTheVike1 OT Supporter

I found a detailed install guide...do you say that because I might mess something up because I'm inexperienced, or because installing PHP will mess things up?

5. SmugZombie

SmugZombie OT Supporter

I suppose i am going to have to agree with king here - when i first installed php on my server (by following a guide on the net) it took several installs with different configurations before i got it right, and i assume several restarts came from this. Like i said it shouldnt interfere with ASP or anything else... but while configuiring php you oculd accidentally screw a extention and well... cause trouble.

So i guess in that you will see that i am one - worried you may be a noob and screw things up ,and two, installing php wont screw it up, configuing php.... may.

6. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

php "should" work fine on a windows server, but i'd never install it on anything MS based.

7. jizzmo

jizzmo New Member

Why not ask the developer before you install it, instead of just assuming that everything will be okay. At least give him a heads-up so he can make a backup right before you install it.

Either way you don't want to be known as the guy who messed something up at work.