Windows Vista

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dieselv2, Feb 27, 2006.

1. dieselv2

dieselv2 *Roll over this car again...and the car gonna roll

Has anyone installed it? Beta (might come with IE7)

If you have, does it run as a program or replace the OS

i.e when switch on computer Vista starts

Is it any good?

2. YoSmoovKid

YoSmoovKid New Member

Stick with 2000 or XP SP2, don't worry about vista yet...

IE7 I have downloaded as a Beta/Hacked version, and has the almighty <tabs>, still I would use Mozilla FF.

Cliffs: Use 2000/XP, and Firefox

3. wparsons

wparsons New Member

Vista is definitely a full OS, so if you install it it'll replace XP(or whatever you currently have installed), unless you install it to another partition(or HDD) and dual boot the system(choose OS at boot time).

As said above, I wouldn't bother with it yet unless you're dual booting or installing on an old system just to check it out. I have enough reliability with final releases of MS OS' nevermind beta's..:rolleyes:

4. dew

dew Banned

its an program os i run it on my pc:hsugh:

5. Test

Test New Member

I ran an earlier beta. It was buggy as hell.

6. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

a beta that is buggy as hell...wow what are the odds

7. Repentinus

Repentinus New Member

:werd:

I have enough trouble with supposedly full versions. I can't imagine working with a beta version.

8. glass onion

glass onion New Member

i doubt that the final will be much better than the beta. thats why i always stick with linux

9. coronet

coronet Do Andriods Dream of Electric Sheep?

I have some high hopes for Windows Vista. With the impressive work they did for Windows Mobile 2005, you can see they are really picking up their feet and moving towards their targets; people who use Windows for gaming and productivity. I'm sure they've done more on security risks, and took good looks at their competition to put their applications back on par.

However, I wish they would do more unique stuff; 95% of their offering has already been done. :sad2:

PS - I'm a newly-converted Linux user.

10. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

Can't improve the wheel much more then it is...

MS takes many great ideas, rolls them all together, packages it nicely and sells it. Provides nice integration with their OS and apps and keeps enhancing it's API.

Unfortuantly that is it's also greatest weakness. By continusully adding more and more and not having it in modules (everything in windows 2k/xp is all in the kernel) causes stability problems when one part does. 2k/xp's kernel is more and more moduled, but unlike linux where you can kill X and still have a computer running w/o problems. In windows kill one major service and you lose 75% of your system and have to rebote.

11. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

Yeah, just one of the things that drives me nuts about Windows. There are some problems you just can't fix and have to reformat. McAfee Virus Scan dug deep in to my system and corrupted something in the sub system pretty bad. I ended up having to reformat even with all my image backups going months in to the past the problem would return. I can't really blame MS for McAfee's fuck up, but if the system weren't tied together so tight I probably could have fixed it.

But yeah, I'll be sticking with WinXP as long as possible. MS still doesn't have all the bugs worked out of XP yet. Besides, that's the only way to get your money's worth IMO.

And from what I've seen what great new features make Vista so much better than XP? Graphics? Blah... Interface? Blah... 3D windows? Blah... Give me more functionality, not much of which I've read in the reviews.

12. coronet

coronet Do Andriods Dream of Electric Sheep?

I've seen that before, somewhere. Linux's kernel is 4.5MB, BSD's is 4.2MB, MacOSX's is 6.6MB (?), and Windows is a a whooping 67.6MB! That's 10x bigger than its next-largest rival!

13. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

yup. it's a shame they didn't go modular. it's a proven success, every other OS uses it.

14. wparsons

wparsons New Member

I was looking into all the *new* features they're promoting on the vista site ( http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/ ), and only one looks kinda neat and not copied from another OS.

Its a network tool that maps the entire network(including router, wireless connections, etc) and can pinpoint where connections are broken(assuming it works like they claim).

Their new user security thing is just a direct copy of "sudo" which is old news in linux and Mac. The new interface features look VERY similar to things in OSX, same with the search bars for searching everywhere and everything.

I must admit, the new interface does look pretty slick, but its nothing new.

The thing I found most idiotic is this new service that attempts to remember which programs you use the most, and when you use them.. It then preloads them into memory to reduce their loading time when you actually run them.. I've got an idea, why not just have enough RAM to load the entire HD into memory, then it'll run blazingly fast...

15. Pet3R

Pet3R Active Member

Windows Vista is still buggy as before (Longhorn).

16. Mac

Mac It varies from season to season, kid. OT Supporter

u cant even talk...u think u can get vista running? lol

17. Mac

Mac It varies from season to season, kid. OT Supporter

goddamn linux losers..hey did u break out of that 0.5% market share yet?

18. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

19. wparsons

wparsons New Member

I got a friend of mine to download and attempt to install the beta(since I don't have a DVD burnder, and its a DVD ISO).. It requires 7.6gb just to install the OS, and won't run with less than 512mb of RAM.. Its going to be a HUUUUUGE resource hog, and probably run slower than XP on the same hardware... But hey, it'll look pretty like OSX(without the performance of OSX), and have appear more secure to the average user because of the "sudo" clone...

As for the crack about the 0.5% market share... If future shop sold computers running linux, home users would be using it... They simply use what their computer comes with.

I set up a linux machine with a windows theme, and got a couple people to try it, not one noticed it wasn't windows until I told them. Obviously they were average home users, and not people digging through the OS and looking at the FS structure. My sister(who can use MSN, and word) has had linux on her computer for over a year now without any troubles, and unlike windows I don't have to reinstall it every 3 months.

20. JubjubRSX

JubjubRSX New Member

im part of msdn and i downloaded the latest ver of it and its nice and all but the firewall here is mangling the packets so bad i cant get out to the internet so its almost useless to even have...funny cause i even uninstalled ipv6 casue the firewall doesnt support it and amazingly enough it still sends out ipv6 ICMP's lol.....so just hope its not working as intended

21. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

I ran a very early beta and it was rather neat...however I will wait for the first SP before switching.

22. psujeeperman02

psujeeperman02 "Hi Sal"

anyone know where i can dl a copy of the vista beta version?

23. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

MSDN or torrentspy

24. Finesse

Finesse Back for the First Time

I've been using the same Windows XP install for about 2 years now. I swear some people must try to fuck up their systems.

25. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

I have been running mine for over 2 years no problems. I defrag and keep the system running smooth.