Windows Vista/longhorn and XP

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Kieffer87, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

I have a copy I got of a prerelease/Beta of Vista. I want to give it a try but dont want to mess up my XP. I was thinking if I made a seperate partition on my main drive or added another drive just for vista. Anyone have any input on this?

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

You might want to do a defrag before you try to add a partition after the fact like that.

3. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Be sure and back up your data first. We tried a copy of Vista at our office and it's still pretty flakey at best.

4. Kieffer87

I got it all installed, defraged first but the boot manager wont let you boot back into xp. I loved vista its what ive always wanted in windows with the visual effects. I ended up taking it off until the official version is released as non of my installed programs showed up under it. I cant wait though :x:

5. Doc Brown

I'm more and more tempted to try an Apple/Intel setup. The graphical interface of osx is awesome.

6. Kieffer87

As am I, I was working in a computer lab yesterday at school that was all Apples running OSX. It was great, however the computers were terribly slow but I think the new intels should run it fine. Especially now that they are becoming more and more compatible I just might have to try one out.:noes:

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Correct me if I'm wrong...by switching to Intel, isn't Apple dumping their shiny 64-bit future just to (gasp) fit in with everyone else?

8. Doc Brown

Yeah they are. But I'm pretty sure that there's a hack that lets osx run with amd too, which is cool.

9. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Well, since there is an x86 version of OSX now (since the new Macs are x86), it's not the CPU that's the problem (it should run on any Intel or AMD or other x86 CPU). The hack is to make it run on a PC with non-Apple hardware, since Apple (of course) doesn't provide drivers for anything other than its own machines.

I have a couple friends who have set it up on their PCs and it runs quite nicely from what I hear.

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Actually, making it work on an AMD involves more than hacking, because AMD chips use AMD's special instructions in addition to x86 instructions (which haven't been standardised since the 386). That means that if OSX is optimized for Intel CPUs only, then AMD users will miss out on some performance because of those special instructions that OSX won't use.

11. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Ah, I hadn't thought of the optimization part. Interesting point :coold:

12. psujeeperman02

psujeeperman02 "Hi Sal"

Ok, i also have a pre-release Vista disc. What do you guys think is the best way to install this on my current win xp machine?
    Im thinking.....1. defrag my HD....2. Create a 2nd partition...3. Install Vista on that new partition.

Also, will something ask me to choose which partition to boot from everytime i power on my pc? Or, do i go into the bios and tell that which partition to boot from?

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

They are probably not running a production version, then... The production version uses a form of EFI instead of your standard BIOS. The Developer Kits that Apple released used an Intel D915G mainboard utilizing a standard BIOS and an integrated TPM chip. This DevKit release was hacked many times over to run on non-Apple machines, both Intel and AMD. However, to the best of my knowledge, this has yet to be accomplished with the production-release of OSX for the Intel Platform.