Windows Update Catalog - Auto-install

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Slid., Jul 19, 2004.

1. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

So I downloaded all the critical updates for Windows XP today (70 of em) using the update catalog. Now I have all these files and no way to install them except running each update individually (not gunna happen).

I noticed the file iuhist_catalog.xml in the root of the directory - it looks like it stores the path and other info. about each update in a easily batchable format.

What I am wondering is if anyone here has a way to install all of these updates whether it is a custom batch file or a program. If not I'll just make my own but I don't want to spend the time if I don't need to.

Thanks.

2. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

3. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Yes - but you can download the files to install later (read: multiple machines). It is also nice to install the updates on a computer before plugging it into the internet where it gets bombed from security holes.

I am using IE.

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

How about installing the latest service pack? That should take care of a chunk of them if you don't already have it.

5. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

If you have alot of machines to update and do not want to download the patches for each machine, try looking into SUS Server. You download the patches to one machine and it shares them to the other machines, you can set registry settings to have the updates done to the remote machines automatically. (And only the updates you have tested will be installed - controllable by the server admin.)